Dr. Bruce to your email please. Dr Bruce to your email.

U

Unregistered

Dr. Bruce,

I sent you an email through your website regarding a strange letter from the FAA I received today. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks!

FSDO receives alleged tip that you apparently cannot execute your duties as PIC leads to evaluation ride. Nanny society.

Actually, this isn't so much a nanny-state issue as possible retaliation for switching flight schools.

If I ever have to do a 709 ride, I'd have to rent that plane.
I do nominate Ahart for Webpages that Suck however. In addition to the bizarre doubling of all the menu items, it took me a lot of searching to figure out what airpot they operate out of.

I had *EXACTLY* the same reaction =)

If I ever have to do a 709 ride, I'd have to rent that plane.
I do nominate Ahart for Webpages that Suck however. In addition to the bizarre doubling of all the menu items, it took me a lot of searching to figure out what airpot they operate out of.

I had *EXACTLY* the same reaction =)

I only looked at their site because of these two posts. Whoever did their website should be shot.

If you are doing a 709 ride, not sure what help doc Bruce would be. Need a CFI to prep up to PTS standards.

So now you can get a 709 just from some random tip with no proof?

Well, yes, you can by the way 44709 is written, however do you believe that is likely? Remember, you are getting one side of the story here. There are a multitude of 'why's left hanging here.

Ah....I think Doc Bruce is also a CFI....
That I am. However, if I understand the OP's situation, he will have LITLE NEED of any prep. This has to do with appearances, I think.

I think once the Inspector sees that he is capable of the preflight, the flight will be trivial.

That I am. However, if I understand the OP's situation, he will have LITLE NEED of any prep. This has to do with appearances, I think.

I think once the Inspector sees that he is capable of the preflight, the flight will be trivial.

Yes. To be clear, this is not about passing a SODA ride for something several different docs including multiple AMEs have sworn in writing doesn't exist; nor is it about piloting ability, considering I've passed all but one item on the PPL with flying colors (the remaining item was deemed safe but in need of slightly more polish away from the home environment).

This is somebody having an axe to grind and calling in a false tip to the FAA, despite the fact that I fully meet the standards of Part 67 and have a (renewed) unrestricted medical.

That sucks. Remember karma sometimes needs a match to get going. I kid, I kid.
Yes. To be clear, this is not about passing a SODA ride for something several different docs including multiple AMEs have sworn in writing doesn't exist; nor is it about piloting ability, considering I've passed all but one item on the PPL with flying colors (the remaining item was deemed safe but in need of slightly more polish away from the home environment).

This is somebody having an axe to grind and calling in a false tip to the FAA, despite the fact that I fully meet the standards of Part 67 and have a (renewed) unrestricted medical.

Medical branch has already vetted you.

This is about OPERATIONS. It's a bummer, but somebody called you in. I don't see why the level of concern if you are actually able to fly!

What I DO get, is the PITA "hassled by quitting a flight school" this really might be. After you pass, FOIA the complaint, and then take the offender to small claims court.

Last edited:

This is about OPERATIONS. It's a bummer, but somebody called you in. I don't see why the level of concern if you are actually able to fly!

What I DO get, is the PITA "hassled by quitting a flight school" this really might be. After you pass, FOIA the complaint, and then take the offender to small claims court.

The majority of complaints received by the FSDO are from other pilots.

First, thank you for your time.

Second, the letter at least did come from Medical, so I'm holding out hope until I can speak to them Monday.

Finally, it is not a level of concern- it is a level of ****ED OFF. It's not about the flying. Long story short, I'm not going to end 3 decades of blood, sweat, and tears and constantly disproving people who said that I couldn't do something or I'd have to apply for a "waiver". Not because of some cowardly punk who decided to file a false report to try and take me down because I made them feel inadequate.

I am really curious what sort of issue would cause someone to think you are physically incapable of preflight that also wouldn't require a SODA waiver. Sounds like a real interpersonal mess.

Second, the letter at least did come from Medical, so I'm holding out hope until I can speak to them Monday.

Finally, it is not a level of concern- it is a level of ****ED OFF. It's not about the flying. Long story short, I'm not going to end 3 decades of blood, sweat, and tears and constantly disproving people who said that I couldn't do something or I'd have to apply for a "waiver". Not because of some cowardly punk who decided to file a false report to try and take me down because I made them feel inadequate.
Oh. If it comes from medical, they have chose to deal with it by referring it to the FSDO for an operational ride.

Still no way around it. :( :(
Bummer.

My advice: Get un-****ed-off before the ride. Watch a movie. Something funny, preferably. Maybe Blazing Saddles. No, wait -- Caddyshack! That gopher dancing to "I'm all right" always cracks me up.

Now that you're no longer ****ed off, go take your ride. You'll do fine!

-Rich

Last edited:
Now, I'm curious. What might be the circumstances to cause medical to send a 709 letter?

Here's an example:

Someone complains to medical that they don't think someone is capable of being a pilot. They look at the file, something they have though was just fine "may not be". Since it is physical (funny limp and gait) and involves operation of an aircraft (say, artificial limb or the like) they have to respond. 44709 results.

If you really want to hose a pilot, a jealous ex spouse calls in that you drink too much. That's not a 44709, that's a psych eval. Many many $$s.

It's a BUREAUCRACY.

Here's an example:

Someone complains to medical that they don't think someone is capable of being a pilot. They look at the file, something they have though was just fine "may not be". Since it is physical (funny limp and gait) and involves operation of an aircraft (say, artificial limb or the like) they have to respond. 44709 results.

If you really want to hose a pilot, a jealous ex spouse calls in that you drink too much. That's not a 44709, that's a psych eval. Many many $$s.

It's a BUREAUCRACY.

Wow! I didn't realize the scope was so broad. It's actually scary. Thanks for the info.

After me & my instructor confronted the probable suspect, he confessed to "accidentally" letting the worst possible interpretation "slip" to the FSDO & "accidentally" not telling anyone for over a week. This was right after I "accidentally" told his affiliated flight school what had happened and WHY I was cancelling my lessons with them. *eyeroll*

I am really curious what sort of issue would cause someone to think you are physically incapable of preflight that also wouldn't require a SODA waiver. Sounds like a real interpersonal mess.

Long story short, I "look" like I should be horribly disabled, but am not. And it's a conversation I have every month or so whenever somebody who hasn't met me before works up the nerve to ask.

Long story short, I "look" like I should be horribly disabled, but am not. And it's a conversation I have every month or so whenever somebody who hasn't met me before works up the nerve to ask.

That is horrible. I am so sorry you have to deal with the rectal orifices of this world....(wondering if my phrase will pass censorship). :confused:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back