DPE using cellphone during checkride?

To be professional is perception. To some people a DPE showing up in a nice white shirt with pilot wings, but doesn't know know anything or know how to talk to someone properly would be professional because he looks professional. To some a guy showing up in shorts, sneaker and a t shirt, smoking a cigarette, but has a personality, extremely knowledgable is professional.
Sometimes a more casual mode of dress on the examiner helps reduce some of the applicant's tensions. But that doesn't excuse unprofessional behavior such as interrupting the process to take a phone call. Even asking the applicant for permission to smoke creates pressure on the applicant, so smoking by the examiner should, I think, be avoided unless the applicant lights up first.

A DPE can do whatever he/she wants during your checkride. They have their own checklists for what they are looking for...
That is not true. The FAA has a whole book of written instructions (FAA Order 8900.2) on how examiners are to conduct practical tests, including standards for professional behavior. Further, while DPE's are required to develop a written plan of action for each practical test they give, they are still required to conduct that test according to the Practical Test Standards -- no adding their own personal items to the ride, or creating different standards for satisfactory performance.

Only the east coast gives a crap about how the person is dressed. Seriously.

http://theoatmeal.com/pl/minor_differences5/suit

Anyone who's looked up what it takes to be a DPE and really thought about it, doesn't give a crap about whether they're in a t-shirt or a tux.

They've met a hell of a lot higher standards to do that job than they're asking you to hit on any Private ride. ;)

Hell it even applies to CFIs. Levy is good enough at Instrument training that he can show up naked for all I care, as long as he lets me put the hood on BEFORE we get in the plane!! ;) ;) ;)

The checklist is their track through the testing.
The proper term for that is a "plan of action".

The PTS is what they are required to adhere to and cover, but they are not required to test everything on the PTS.
They are most certainly required to test every Area/Task listed as required for the certificate/rating in the rating/task table in that PTS, and they are prohibited from requiring performance of any task or maneuver not listed at least as optional in the PTS for that certificate/rating.

They are 'asked' to take special note of the 'special emphasis' areas but again, they are not required to fully test those either.
Again, they are absolutely required to evaluate all Special Emphasis items -- the wording in the PTS is "Examiners shall place special emphasis upon areas of aircraft operation considered critical to flight safety." "Shall", in FAA parlance, "is used in an imperative sense" (14 CFR 1.3).

How they conduct the ground and flying part are totally up to them, and what they do during the test is also up to them.
FAA Order 8900.2 and the PTS are directive in nature, and they have no latitude to deviate from them. They have a certain amount of freedom on how they conduct a practical test within that guidance, but they cannot do anything prohibited or omit anything required by them

In fact, they can even pretend to have a heart attack in order to assess your response to an emergency in flight.
Sure, but they have to make sure the applicant realizes this is a drill, not a real heart attack lest the applicant actually get on the radio and call out the emergency forces.

So, the DPE mulling over calls or texting on a phone is not out of the ordinary.
It is not only out of the ordinary, it is unprofessional conduct prohibited by the FAA.

Covered ad nauseum. Modern phones do not meet the definition and therefore not subject to the ban.
That's debatable, but what isn't debatable is that such use would require the PIC's approval. Subjecting an applicant to the pressure of the DPE requesting such permission to take care of other business during the practical test would be unprofessional behavior of which the FAA would not approve.

Hell it even applies to CFIs. Levy is good enough at Instrument training that he can show up naked for all I care, as long as he lets me put the hood on BEFORE we get in the plane!! ;) ;) ;)
Ummm....I get cold too easily, although if that were not a factor, I doubt that what I have to show would be considered much of a distraction. However, PIC has a requirement for "neat attire" (they dropped the requirement for a tie), so these days I tend to dress like Jake at State Farm.

Ummm....I get cold too easily, although if that were not a factor, I doubt that what I have to show would be considered much of a distraction. However, PIC has a requirement for "neat attire" (they dropped the requirement for a tie), so these days I tend to dress like Jake at State Farm.

You mean the one on the 4am commercial that ,"she sounds hideous"
:rofl:

Alright, i think its time to close this thread after a naked Ron has been introduced.

I have no problem with someone smoking in my aircraft, I just ask them to step outside to light up, you know safety and all that.

Dpes are supposed to be professional. 8 hour oral plus three ppl checkride attempts later.. $15,000 FOR training plus another $1220 for dpe fees, I finally had my ppl.
I called the same FSDO and got a letter stating "this may warrant a futher investigation"...

Original thread poster here. This ISN'T me, hah. Sounds like a pain to have to spend that much to get a PPC...

Original thread poster here. This ISN'T me, hah. Sounds like a pain to have to spend that much to get a PPC...

Also, I've just let this whole situation go. I know for a fact that this guy has a poor reputation around the airport, and it's almost unusual to see him doing check rides at the local airport anymore. Seems like instructors don't mesh with him too well either.

I have no problem with someone smoking in my aircraft, I just ask them to step outside to light up, you know safety and all that.
I have a similar process -- if someone in my plane is smoking, I assume they're on fire and take appropriate action.

Also, I've just let this whole situation go. I know for a fact that this guy has a poor reputation around the airport, and it's almost unusual to see him doing check rides at the local airport anymore. Seems like instructors don't mesh with him too well either.
Best revenge of all -- hit 'em right in the wallet.

Personally, i would leave it alone, you passed your checkride and got your license. Never know if telling the FSDO more info could start something.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back