DPE recommendation Hudson Valley NY

Matthew Rogers

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Matt R
Can anyone give me some recommendations for a DPE around the Hudson Valley of NY. Anywhere from Albany to NYC. I fly out of 2NK9, which is a small grass strip just across the Hudson River from KPOU - Hudson Valley Regional/Dutchess. The DPE closest to me had an accident earlier this year and I can't get in touch with him - Frank Reiss.

My instructor (88 y.o.) had a contact for an examiner, but was like "well I haven't talked to him for 10-12 years and he was 75 when I knew him, so....".

I am getting close - 25 hours, soloed at 10, dual xc completed, hood time almost done, solo towered work done, just waiting on weather for solo X/C. Getting 3-4 hours per week.

Also if anyone wants to fly for some reason to show me some moves, different planes, airports, just let me know.

Matt

Call your local FSDO, they will have a list of DPE’s for you.

I have the list from the FAA website, but a few things make it harder than it seems.

First - when choosing Pilot Examiners (PE) from the list (to narrow it down from all examiners), you get a list of all Private Pilot examiners, including those that can only examine for helicopter, light sport, glider, etc. I have already called a few that could not help me as they were only Rotorcraft instructors or glider instructors, or LSA. Also, some of the phone numbers are not listed, making cold calls even harder.

Second, Since I am close to the intersection of several areas, I have to choose from the Albany, Allentown, Teterboro, New York, Windsor Locks areas. That is a lot of people to contact and a lot of areas and FSDOs to call. I am in the Albany FSDO, but as I noted, the examiner close to me is out of commission, so others in PA, MA, CT, and NJ may be better than my local FSDO choices.

Call Peggy Loeffler at Great Barrington. 1-413-528-1010
Super instructor, super DPE.

I left a message with her. I have been to Great Barrington and that is a great airport. Thanks.

I am currently going back and forth with another DPE over my INOP VOR and whether I can use handheld devices for the Nav portion. I know we had this discussion already, but it apparently still up for negotiation.

I will probably have my dead VOR head removed before my ride so there is no question.

I left a message with her. I have been to Great Barrington and that is a great airport. Thanks.

I am currently going back and forth with another DPE over my INOP VOR and whether I can use handheld devices for the Nav portion. I know we had this discussion already, but it apparently still up for negotiation.

I will probably have my dead VOR head removed before my ride so there is no question.

Send me a PM and let me know with which DPE you are talking.
There are a couple you want to stay away from at all costs.

Thanks, I’ll call Jay tomorrow to get to know him.

Back