DPE Complaint

It seems the key take-away here is that I should have told the DPE to "hold the whiney comments and complaints until we got on the ground - I'm the PIC". Didn't realize (at that time) I could and should do that, even as a lowly student pilot testing for PP. That's something my instructor could have helped prepare me better for.
See posts 30, 31, & 32. ;)

During my instrument checkride, my examiner kept asking me random irrelevant questions while I was trying to focus on the approach. Whenever he asked me an irrelevant question, I just said that I’ll answer once we get on the ground. He did that on purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During my instrument check ride years ago at KCEW, my examiner was on my case as soon as we closed the door...finally I was fed up, told him to please be quiet..he asked my why it took me so long...he was an ex-airforce pilot.:)

"Then as we start the turn for the final descent, which is always the most complicated and demanding in accuracy, Ross takes a box of matches from his pocket and lights them one after another right in front of my nose. I gasp a protest. I am heavily engaged in trying to hold course and altitude exactly according to the book. This is the real thing. It counts.

"What the hell are you doing?"

I am bewildered. If I were not so extremely busy I would the flame away. It is difficult to see the instruments beyond the flame, and Ross holds it just close enough to make breathing difficult.

I blow out the match. Ross at once lights another. I am fifty feet too low, the compass is swinging in a direction it should not, and my speed is falling off.

"Steady..."

I fight to keep things in order, not because we are in the slightest danger at this altitude, but only because Ross has deliberately ruined what might have been a technically perfect approach. For this I cannot forgive him.

But his voice is surprisingly tired and so is his smile. "Anyone can do this job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back