Downloading data off a GNS430

jkgoblue

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John K.
Does anyone know how to get the GPS data from a flight off the GNS430? I'm looking for the .nmea data file. I'm not sure if it's possible but I'm looking to get that information so I can look at my flight on google maps.

I've done it off a bluetooth GPS and a PDA before but was wondering if that same data could be extracted from the panel mount Garmin.

Thanks

Does the 430 even save your ground-track? There is nothing when you use it that I've noticed that suggests it does so.

Not sure either but whenever a plane goes down, I usually hear of the FAA getting information from the GPS.

Does the 430 even save your ground-track? There is nothing when you use it that I've noticed that suggests it does so.
I looked through the manual (on the Garmin web site, http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GNS430_PilotsGuide.pdf) and there are ways to display your track log (p. 3-12) so it is stored someplace. I don't know how to get it out.

The OP mentioned NMEA data- the physical connection for NMEA is essentially RS-232- the 430 has "aviation RS-232", but I don't know if it uses NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association). My GV sends NMEA but I don't know if newer aviation only units would.

I wish that feature existed with the Garmin gear but I do not think it does..I have a glass panel in my 182 and for the life of me, I can't understand why it doesn't to breadcrumbs....

Really...I'd be interested in knowing more about that....

In the case of light planes I think that's usually a handheld being data dumped. No panel mount GPS I know of retains any flight path history when power is removed.

And BTW, although the Pilot Guide for the 430/530 mentions a "track log" in one place, there is no such feature in the unit. I suspect that this is simply an error in the manual created by pasting paragraphs from a manual for a handheld that has this feature.

I wish that feature existed with the Garmin gear but I do not think it does..I have a glass panel in my 182 and for the life of me, I can't understand why it doesn't to breadcrumbs....
Some units seem to show breadcrumb tracks...I don't know if yours is one of them, but the manual ref I posted earlier suggests the 430 does.

A lot (all?) of the Garmin hand-helds let you. Panel mounts seem to be a different story. The hand-helds let you download via the serial or USB. These don't seem easily accessible on the panal mount systems.

Do the panal mount Garmins write logs to the data cards? I wonder if track info is on those...maybe look to see if files get added next flight.

Or maybe just call Garmin Tech support...

Just get yourself a cheap, non-aviation handheld and put it on the dash to keep your track!

Some units seem to show breadcrumb tracks...I don't know if yours is one of them, but the manual ref I posted earlier suggests the 430 does.

The "suggestion" in the manual is incorrect.

Back