orange
Line Up and Wait
This is kind of long, but I don't take a lot of longer trips so I wrote it up to get feedback.
On Sunday morning (10am), I did a short cross-country (45 miles or so) from FRG to OXC, Long Island, NY to CT. I'm flying a Cherokee 160. As a background, I'm a PPL (under 1 year) and I have about 170 hours total. I usually only fly in solid VFR weather, but like one of my CFI's would always tell me when I complained about lousy weather "The weather is not always perfect, you need to know how to fly in marginal weather". He wasn't telling me to fly in bad weather but that I need to know how to in case I get caught in something unexpected.
I was watching the weather since Saturday, not ideal but looked doable. Light winds, but ceilings wouldn't be great, especially for crossing over 15-17 nm body of water. I'm not crazy at crossing the LI sound at 3,000 feet. The ceilings near and in CT were higher than LI. I got to the airport and it was gloomy and light rain. I got a weather briefing (1-800-WX-BRIEF) on the way in and he confirmed that ceiling were in the low 3k's near airport but expected to get better. Areas of IFR and moderate turbulence along CT coastline reported.
I took off and ceilings actually improved to mid to high 4k. Even better north. I was able to cross the water at 5.5 and still was way below the 500 that I need to stay VFR. No issue, no traffic (saw one plane along the way). My groundspeed was 85-90, strong headwind. The approach into OXC wasn't great. I'm not used to airports with any elevations. Just about all my flights have been to near sea level airports. This is at like 800 and the approach seems steeper due to trees and hills everywhere. Some of those optical illusions came into play. I need to fly into different airports more to get that experience.
I hung with a buddy, grabbed some breakfast/lunch, and asked to give him an aerial tour of his house, but he pussed out, so I started my flight back. At this point, the ceilings were up to 8k, sun came out, and skies were much less depressing.
I took off on RWY 36 and as soon as I turned downwind to head south, the tailwinds kicked in. I was doing 140-150 over the ground. Nice. As I was nearing BDR on the CT coast, I saw a dark cloud ahead, but didn't see any rain or anything. Again, I have relatively little experience and none around bad weather. I was cruising at 4500, and it was maybe 2k feet higher. I thought about going around it but knew it wasn't a thunderstorm, so decided to push ahead. As soon as I got near it, I felt what I think was a downdraft and the plane started a descent (nothing major or scary) but noticeable, even with me holding the yoke pretty firmly since I expected "something" to happen. Honestly, I just wanted the experience and I was fairly sure it wouldn't be a microburst. My IAS rose to about 125-130, so I cut the power some and descended to try to get further away from it. It got a little better at 3500. So I stayed there until I cleared the cloud. I was super vigilant about looking for traffic seeing how I was head-on with northbound traffic. Then went back up to 4500. I was not on FF so wasn't speaking to anybody.
My question is whether what I felt was a downdraft? Are they dangerous? I know microbursts around thunderstorm are killers, but there were no TS in the area, just light rain. Any comments, suggestions, critiques, are welcomed. That is why I wrote this to get feedback if I did something dumb/dangerous.
On Sunday morning (10am), I did a short cross-country (45 miles or so) from FRG to OXC, Long Island, NY to CT. I'm flying a Cherokee 160. As a background, I'm a PPL (under 1 year) and I have about 170 hours total. I usually only fly in solid VFR weather, but like one of my CFI's would always tell me when I complained about lousy weather "The weather is not always perfect, you need to know how to fly in marginal weather". He wasn't telling me to fly in bad weather but that I need to know how to in case I get caught in something unexpected.
I was watching the weather since Saturday, not ideal but looked doable. Light winds, but ceilings wouldn't be great, especially for crossing over 15-17 nm body of water. I'm not crazy at crossing the LI sound at 3,000 feet. The ceilings near and in CT were higher than LI. I got to the airport and it was gloomy and light rain. I got a weather briefing (1-800-WX-BRIEF) on the way in and he confirmed that ceiling were in the low 3k's near airport but expected to get better. Areas of IFR and moderate turbulence along CT coastline reported.
I took off and ceilings actually improved to mid to high 4k. Even better north. I was able to cross the water at 5.5 and still was way below the 500 that I need to stay VFR. No issue, no traffic (saw one plane along the way). My groundspeed was 85-90, strong headwind. The approach into OXC wasn't great. I'm not used to airports with any elevations. Just about all my flights have been to near sea level airports. This is at like 800 and the approach seems steeper due to trees and hills everywhere. Some of those optical illusions came into play. I need to fly into different airports more to get that experience.
I hung with a buddy, grabbed some breakfast/lunch, and asked to give him an aerial tour of his house, but he pussed out, so I started my flight back. At this point, the ceilings were up to 8k, sun came out, and skies were much less depressing.
I took off on RWY 36 and as soon as I turned downwind to head south, the tailwinds kicked in. I was doing 140-150 over the ground. Nice. As I was nearing BDR on the CT coast, I saw a dark cloud ahead, but didn't see any rain or anything. Again, I have relatively little experience and none around bad weather. I was cruising at 4500, and it was maybe 2k feet higher. I thought about going around it but knew it wasn't a thunderstorm, so decided to push ahead. As soon as I got near it, I felt what I think was a downdraft and the plane started a descent (nothing major or scary) but noticeable, even with me holding the yoke pretty firmly since I expected "something" to happen. Honestly, I just wanted the experience and I was fairly sure it wouldn't be a microburst. My IAS rose to about 125-130, so I cut the power some and descended to try to get further away from it. It got a little better at 3500. So I stayed there until I cleared the cloud. I was super vigilant about looking for traffic seeing how I was head-on with northbound traffic. Then went back up to 4500. I was not on FF so wasn't speaking to anybody.
My question is whether what I felt was a downdraft? Are they dangerous? I know microbursts around thunderstorm are killers, but there were no TS in the area, just light rain. Any comments, suggestions, critiques, are welcomed. That is why I wrote this to get feedback if I did something dumb/dangerous.
Last edited: