Down East - The Magazine of Maine

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
While the title and the intro leaves a lot to be desired, the August issue of 'Down East' has a fairly good article on Maine Aviators. Called 'High Anxiety' and starting with "What kind of person risks life and limb, taking off from grassy airstrips...", it features a beautiful 1946 Ercoupe and many fine arial shots. And as I said, except for the title and intro, it makes good reading.
"Down East' can keep the article but chuck the title PLEASE.

I was in the Down East headquarters a couple weeks ago to visit my long-ago high school singing partner. Janet is an adv. sales rep. The headquarters are in an old mansion-type building on U.S. Route #1, in Rockport.

HR

Wooooo... it's those deadly grassy airstrips again. Who could survive those ?

silver-eagle said:
While the title and the intro leaves a lot to be desired, the August issue of 'Down East' has a fairly good article on Maine Aviators. Called 'High Anxiety' and starting with "What kind of person risks life and limb, taking off from grassy airstrips...", it features a beautiful 1946 Ercoupe and many fine arial shots. And as I said, except for the title and intro, it makes good reading.

silver-eagle said:

I picked up a copy of Down East after work, today; nice article by Abby Zimet. At the conclusion of this post there might be a couple readers who might think, Why am I not surprised? The small world again evolves.

One of my young co-workers, Angela Lanoue, asked me upon my arrival, Hey, Smiling Jerry; have you seen the Down East Magazine article about my Dad, Billy Lanoue, and his Ercoupe? I hadn't read the piece, but I knew, immediately what she was referencing, thanks to John's POA thread.

Well, Angela's getting me set up for a flight with her Dad in the 1946 Ercoupe featured in the article; so, that should be fun and a photo-op, besides. And he wants to fly my thrifty 150. Another "in the right place at the right time."

HR

Oh Shicks.... I'm bumbed. I'd love to fly a Ercoupe but it looks like the ones based at Shoreline have moved. Well, that and when they were here it was $69 a hour.... $80 got me a Warrior!
Take good PIX. I'm living vicariously thru you.

Last edited:
Back