Doug Rozendaal on stalls, stall speed and bank angle

I find it amazing how intelligent, experienced pilots can disagree so much on a fundamental. And I'm not including myself in that group.

I just never realized how many pilots only fly in straight lines. I feel lucky I have banked and survived!

That's how I teach emergency descents. We peg the VSI in a 45° bank in a few seconds, just like the math shows. Yet people want to argue with both the theory and the empirical data because they "feel" that they know better.

Stalling in the pattern is bad, but so are ballistic descents. You get to pick one or the other.
I'm curious where you get a 45 degree bank. I don't recall anybody saying a bank that severe.

I'm curious where you get a 45 degree bank. I don't recall anybody saying a bank that severe.
The thread is about the relationship between stall speed and bank angle. You picked 40, I picked 45. It's called an example.

If we're only supposed to talk about shallow banks then why have the discussion?

The thread is about the relationship between stall speed and bank angle. You picked 40, I picked 45. It's called an example.
Ok, let's pick 90 and we can all agree.
If we're only supposed to talk about shallow banks then why have the discussion?
I thought the discussion was about base to final turn.

Ok, let's pick 90 and we can all agree.

I thought the discussion was about base to final turn.

The thread title is

"Doug Rozendaal on stalls, stall speed and bank angle"​

The first sentence is:

"I recorded with Doug Rozendaal about stalls, stall speed and its relationship (or lack thereof) with bank angle."

You really gonna waste everyone's time, including your own, with a meta-argument about what the thread is and isn't about? Find something better to do.

The thread title is

"Doug Rozendaal on stalls, stall speed and bank angle"​

The first sentence is:

"I recorded with Doug Rozendaal about stalls, stall speed and its relationship (or lack thereof) with bank angle."

You really gonna waste everyone's time, including your own, with a meta-argument about what the thread is and isn't about? Find something better to do.
It's funny. When I noticed we weren't putting the same limits on the discussion I applied your limits to my argument and agreed with you. When you notice it you give me crap for mine and continue to disagree.

Last edited:
Back