Doubled up tail feathers on military DC3?

Dave Krall CFII

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES, Cmcl HELI
Was watching The Duke & the nurses on Flying Tigers again just now and noticed the upper T-tail and 2 vertical stabs on the right & left of the modified DC3. Was this a common mod to aid in high gross ops or just one-off for the movie?

Dave Krall CFII said:
Was watching The Duke & the nurses on Flying Tigers again just now and noticed the upper T-tail and 2 vertical stabs on the right & left of the modified DC3. Was this a common mod to aid in high gross ops or just one-off for the movie?

To improve MGTOW wouldn't you need more wing area, as opposed to more stabilizer area?

I'll vote for a Hollywood modification. I've never seen that on a "real" plane. That alone doesn't make me right, but....

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
To improve MGTOW wouldn't you need more wing area, as opposed to more stabilizer area?

I'll vote for a Hollywood modification. I've never seen that on a "real" plane. That alone doesn't make me right, but....

-Skip

Those mods should increase maneuverability in pitch and yaw, along with increased drag, either with or without increased wing area.

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:

It was just a model, made to look cooler than a regular DC-3.

Back