Double Hammerhead

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
Finally figured out how to get the last 180 degrees of pivot on the double hammer to stay on a (very near) vertical plane rather than rolling left near wings level on the way back up and looking like a spin from the 270 degree point. Still not perfect, but not sure my airplane (or I) can do it perfectly. Fun maneuver. 2nd clip is a 'spiraling tower' that I tweaked to make it enter the spin down a little cleaner.

Last edited:
Looks good! I always thought the double hammerhead came about thru sheer power as aerobatic aircraft got bigger engines and bigger tail surfaces. Never seen a stock Pitts do one before.

I always thought the double hammerhead came about thru sheer power as aerobatic aircraft got bigger engines and bigger tail surfaces. Never seen a stock Pitts do one before.

Yeah, a lot of power and a big rudder definitely help, but they can be done in stock Pitts' like mine. Mine even has the original small factory (S-1S) rudder. It's one of those maneuvers that's very sensitive to technique differences and is very hard to duplicate exactly the same way each time.

Rob Holland does a nice double hammer at 1:13 below. Of course, it helps to be super talented and have an enormous rudder, near 400hp, and ailerons that extend into the propwash like he has (to help control unwanted roll). I just don't think my airplane can fly this maneuver as "on-plane" as Rob shows here. But he still torques a little at the end. :)

Last edited:
Resurrecting a dead thread here, but that Rob Holland video defies the laws of Physics and Aerodynamics. That was incredible to watch!

Resurrecting a dead thread here, but that Rob Holland video defies the laws of Physics and Aerodynamics. That was incredible to watch!

That MXS of his is quite the airplane. But the real wonder is the man in the cockpit. He is great fun to watch.

If you wanna see something really cool look up his "What I See" videos.

Back