Dornier Do-28 B-1 Any body fly this?

Re: Doiner-Do-28-B-1 Any body fly this?

Flown in a later version once, as cargo :)

This is an early version of the Dornier Do28, a STOL twin with leading edge slats. I believe the B version did not have the geared engines yet.

If you want cool and unusual, this will do it. They are rather loud inside, thirsty and you should probably be an A&P or have one somehow interested in the thing to make it viable.

I've modified several for jump aircraft.

They've got one speed for takeoff, cruise and landing. It's the same speed. They also suffer bird strikes in the trailing edge of the wing in flight, and leave crew members deaf and senseless.

Other than that, they're very nice aircraft.

I saw that the other day, pretty cool, wonder if it'll do floats? I look at those props and I'm thinking it may have been upgraded to geared engines.

They've got one speed for takeoff, cruise and landing. It's the same speed. They also suffer bird strikes in the trailing edge of the wing in flight, and leave crew members deaf and senseless.

:rofl:

As for the one for sale: Not sure what the imperial german navy cross on a ex-IAF plane is supposed to signify. It would be the first thing to go if this thing ever got into my hands.

Are you saying they are more prone to bird strikes than other similar aircraft? If so, any idea why?

Other than that, they're very nice aircraft.

\__[Ô]__/;941441 said:
Are you saying they are more prone to bird strikes than other similar aircraft? If so, any idea why?

David - look closer ... :)

\__[Ô]__/;941441 said:

He said "trailing edge of the wing", which is a euphamism for the plane being slower than birds behind it, meaning slow. It does look pretty draggy.

:rofl:

As for the one for sale: Not sure what the imperial german navy cross on a ex-IAF plane is supposed to signify. It would be the first thing to go if this thing ever got into my hands.

Maybe I'm about to show my German Military Symbol ignorance but that doesn't look like an Iron Cross, it looks like a Maltese Cross? Why it's there I dunno.

Disregard previous comments. This is about the Dornier 28; I've never messed with one. I was thinking Dornier 228. Completely different airplane.

Maybe I'm about to show my German Military Symbol ignorance but that doesn't look like an Iron Cross, it looks like a Maltese Cross? Why it's there I dunno.

The crosses in all forms pre-dated Nazi Germany. They were German military markings, and still used today. In fact when it existed East Germany used them also.

You are right, more notched than the imperial navy flag, still odd.

The crosses in all forms pre-dated Nazi Germany. They were German military markings, and still used today. In fact when it existed East Germany used them also.
What evidence do you have that East Germany used them?

What evidence do you have that East Germany used them?

I have a very accurate MiG-21 diecast model from East Germany's JG-1 bearing iron crosses on wings, and fuslelage. I'm having computer issues right now or I'd post a link for you. Do a search for it, and you'll see. They may have been Combloc, but they were still Germans.

I have a very accurate MiG-21 diecast model from East Germany's JG-1 bearing iron crosses on wings, and fuslelage. I'm having computer issues right now or I'd post a link for you. Do a search for it, and you'll see. They may have been Combloc, but they were still Germans.

While there was a pretty direct continuity between earlier forces and the NVA, I dont believe the templar cross was ever part of their official insigina.

I bet you will find that you are talking about a post -reconciliation markings, look at the flag on the tail, if it's black red and gold , you've got 'German' markings, not 'East German, DDR' markings as seen here:

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/HE-553674

The DDR a.k.a. 'East Germany' would NEVER be allowed to use the cross emblem.

I bet you will find that you are talking about a post -reconciliation markings, look at the flag on the tail, if it's black red and gold , you've got 'German' markings, not 'East German, DDR' markings as seen here:

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/HE-553674

The DDR a.k.a. 'East Germany' would NEVER be allowed to use the cross emblem.

Yes, the flag is black, red and gold, but the is different from your link. Crappy photos to follow:

SANY0114.jpg

SANY0111.jpg

SANY0112.jpg

So, this is a post-unification MiG-21 taken over by the new unified German Luftwaffe like the MiG-29's they still have?

So, this is a post-unification MiG-21 taken over by the new unified German Luftwaffe like the MiG-29's they still have?

Yes.
That is a post-reunification paintscheme. I dont think they kept the 21s for long. The paint-scheme seems to 'celebrate' the occasion of the units dissolution.

Yes.
That is a post-reunification paintscheme. I dont think they kept the 21s for long. The paint-scheme seems to 'celebrate' the occasion of the units dissolution.

Got it. Yes, that is definitely the German flag, and not the DDR (East German) flag. Should have caught that.

Thanks guys.

Got it. Yes, that is definitely the German flag, and not the DDR (East German) flag. Should have caught that.

Thanks guys.

Now you made me google stuff :)

This is an odd paintscheme and I wonder whether there was ever a plane with that actual livery. JG-1 ended dissolution of the east german military in 1990 (the Mig 29Cs that were transferred flew in JG-73 under the nato numbering scheme). The numbers underneath the JG-1 logo indicate december 31st 1994, a point at which the east german airforce had been dissolved for 4 years.

Last edited:
Now you made me google stuff :)

This is an odd paintscheme and I wonder whether there was ever a plane with that actual livery. JG-1 was dissolved with the dissolution of the east german military in 1990 (the Mig 29Cs that were transferred flew in JG-73 under the nato numbering scheme). The numbers underneath the JG-1 logo indicate december 31st 1994, a point at which the east german airforce had been dissolved for 4 years.

I'm going to dig out the box, and see if there is any more info on it.

The box says:

MiG-21 MF
JG-1
Dec. 1, 1990
That's all I see on it.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 0623121202-00.jpg
    0623121202-00.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 0623121205-00.jpg
    0623121205-00.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 71
I'm going to dig out the box, and see if there is any more info on it.

The box says:

MiG-21 MF
JG-1
Dec. 1, 1990
That's all I see on it.

Well, maybe. JG-1 ceased operation on 10/2/1990 and the personnel was transferred to the 5th aviation division of the west german airforce on 10/3. The equipment was transferred to the goverments surplus corporation and everything was gone in april 91. The combination of east german unit and west german flag probably never existed.

Well, maybe. JG-1 ceased operation on 10/2/1990 and the personnel was transferred to the 5th aviation division of the west german airforce on 10/3. The equipment was transferred to the goverments surplus corporation and everything was gone in april 91. The combination of east german unit and west german flag probably never existed.

probably?:rofl::rofl::rofl: I doubt the planes ever flew in a non DDR livery.

Back