Door steward problems in winter

alaskan9974

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alaskan9974
0D0E8AE6-2DD9-4C55-9C0E-2D69CBD101B1.jpeg

Anyone have issues with door stewards in winter?

Went to plug in the cabin heater and the door steward didn’t do anything, the door just came open with no resistance.

Only been a year or so since it was installed they haven’t responded yet, wondering if this is common. Lots of oil leaked out of it and there is no resistance in it.

I don't have them on my plane, But my buddy does on his Cherokee. They seem like a nice addition to our planes.

I have replaced gas shocks on SUVs in the past, so I have seen them go bad.
Extreme cold is tough on them. You need a new strut it sounds like?

Might want to check to see if you can match yours up to the replacements at the auto parts store. If you can find them I bet it would be cheaper.

I don't have them on my plane, But my buddy does on his Cherokee. They seem like a nice addition to our planes.

I have replaced gas shocks on SUVs in the past, so I have seen them go bad.
Extreme cold is tough on them. You need a new strut it sounds like?

Might want to check to see if you can match yours up to the replacements at the auto parts store. If you can find them I bet it would be cheaper.
Yea I ordered a replacement.

Didn’t plan for it to be a reoccurring expense. Will check some local stores and see if anything is close to it.

From my car experience, they may work for a while when new, but unless the shiny piston rod extends out the bottom (and not out the side or top) when installed and parked, they soon lose their internal gas precharge out the rod seal.

Back