Door sill replacement.

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
Somewhere, along life's path, someone in the prior ownership of my plane must have caught (a shoe?) something on the door sill. Plane is a Piper Lance, and uses the familiar metal door sill. Once that starts, it doesn't easily stop.

My wife asked me about replacing it, and I've been going down the rabbit hole of parts availability and used parts as well. (You want HOW MUCH?)

Is something simple like this commonly made from stock materials, cut and fitted, vs. paying for the piece made by the manufacturer? Or does doing this cause the world to spin backwards and the FAA want to throw licenses in shredding machines?

That door sill is ugly now, right? It’s only cosmetic. Like seat cloth. Upholstery, if you will. So, just reupholster that door sill and fly away.

Are you talking about the thin metal door sill at the bottom Rusty? I assume you meant it has a tear at the bottom. If not, can it be removed, hammered back into shape and re-installed?

Are you talking about the thin metal door sill at the bottom Rusty? I assume you meant it has a tear at the bottom. If not, can it be removed, hammered back into shape and re-installed?
It now has a little “chunk” missing making for a sharp edge.

I probably just need to remove it, shape it a little and reinstall.

It’s a perfect part for owner produced. The center strip on a 182 is $135 from Cessna suppliers. If your plane is still in production, the part number is likely superseded by what’s currently in the latest model year parts manual.

Back