door rubber question

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Working on a C-172D. Almost nothing left of the old rubber around the doors. There is a confusing amount of stuff out there. What's the best option for some kind of rubber gasket around the doors.
And while we're at it, what kind of adhesive is best for application?
Coaching MUCH appreciated.
—dan

I changed the seal on my Cherokee not too long ago. I bought the one that sticks to the door frame instead of the door. Not sure if Aircraft Spruce has this for the Cessnas. I'm not super happy but also not super disappointed about the product. Six months in, it's keeping drafts out although it is already starting to fall apart in some places, despite the fact that the plane is hangared and out of the elements. Can't help with the adhesive question - my mechanic installed it.

So... have you used this? There's a high performance version, and a regular version. Looks like same stuff but is "self adhesive" which sounds good since I'm planning on installing and that adhesive is hard to work with.
Recommendation and review would be appreciated. I'm just trying to keep the rain out... thanks.

those are supposed to be really superior for quieting noise, but not liking the news of it getting frazzled after only 6 months...

Apparently they are self adhesive but I believe my mechanic used extra (stronger) adhesive to put them on. Yeah, I'm not thrilled it's already starting to crumble. It's mostly at the bottom where it's crumbling, possibly because that part gets accidentally stepped on by me, passengers and dog while entering/exiting the plane.

It's mostly at the bottom where it's crumbling, possibly because that part gets accidentally stepped on by me, passengers and dog while entering/exiting the plane.
Which is why Cessna put them on the doors, not the frames.

Whatever one buys, it needs to be really soft stuff. Much of the common doorseal material is too stiff or too thick, with the result that it stresses the door, its hinges, and latch because you have to force it hard to get it closed. A hollow-section seal with a rather thin wall is best.

Good contact cement is used to secure it. 3M 1300L is what I used. Glue the seal ONLY to the inside of the door flange that mates with the outer skin, not the areas that are 90° to that. If you get it stuck on those areas, it will not compress easily and the door could get bent or cracked or whatever.

Apparently they are self adhesive but I believe my mechanic used extra (stronger) adhesive to put them on. Yeah, I'm not thrilled it's already starting to crumble. It's mostly at the bottom where it's crumbling, possibly because that part gets accidentally stepped on by me, passengers and dog while entering/exiting the plane.

I know the stuff you're talking about. Looks like really high quality compressed foam? I posted years ago about my displeasure with the product and someone got all butt hurt about it because a relative worked at either the company I bought it from or the company that made it. It didn't last long at all in my Cherokee and tore out in chunks at the bottom and at the side near the latch. I took off that crap and installed a real rubber seal (forgot where I bought it) on the door, not the frame and I haven't had any issues in at least 4 years.

Which is why Cessna put them on the doors, not the frames.

It’s on the door on Cherokees as well normally and once I have to change it, I’ll go back with a seal on the door instead of the frame. Anyone here using these inflatable door seals?

I agree this is very nice stuff, the best I have ever used for any kind of weather stripping. Perfect shape, just the right texture and seals just about 100% with the silicone that you put on after the install. No problem with the doors closing properly afterwards.

This is what it looks like.
IMG_0073.JPG

The prep is the most important part of the job. I used this adhesive remover which works great and is safe around everything. I have used this stuff for years for all kinds of adhesive removal on paint jobs on cars and trucks. I only used about 6 oz for the whole job(3 doors). Don't need a gallon but that is how I buy it since I use it at work also for decal work.
IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

That is 30-40 year old contact cement.
IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

This what I used to glue it on. Put some on the weather stripping and some on the door. It sticks great to a clean surface.
IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

I put it on spring of 2021, it is holding up great and made a huge difference last winter flying. It is also quieter inside.
IMG_0071.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone here using these inflatable door seals?
Company I flew for had a Baron…door seal was bad, so they replaced it with an inflatable one…made it tough to get the door closed properly, and inflating it really sprung the door. Got to the point where the door seal had to be inflated to keep the door from popping open in flight.

Really helpful information. Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate the coaching and insight

I have gotten in the habit of not stepping or putting any pressure on the seal positioned on the sill of my Archer. I alert all passengers to avoid that area also. When an area became loose, a quick reapplication of adhesive was necessary. It has gotten to the point that nothing has been needed in years.

Back