Door falls from plane, lands on golf course.

Love this quote from the co-owner/passenger:

"We are, and will be, cooperating with the investigation into how this inexplicable malfunction occurred,"

"inexplicable" and "how it occurred" seem to be mutually exclusive, but I'll grant that they interviewed him immediately after the plane landed.

The big question is did the pilot yell 'FORE!' as he passed overhead.

No, the big question is whether if the door landed on a ball, it constitutes an unplayable lie for which relief is granted.

No, the big question is whether if the door landed on a ball, it constitutes an unplayable lie for which relief is granted.

Article said the golf course was closed for the day.

Has anyone else read Freight Dogs? Maybe they were doing a dry run for an offshore package drop.

One thing is for sure...... It ain't gonna be cheap to fix the plane.:nonod::no:

Holy crap that's a big door. I was picturing a Cessna or Piper door before I read the article.

I can only show you the door, you're the one that will have to run from it.

Wow. You really ARE Air Force aren't you? ;)

(How do you build an Air Force Base? Build the golf course first, then the buildings go around it. Grin!)

Wayne must have really done it this time if one his customers decided to throw his own main cabin door on the golf course just to interrupt tomorrow's golf game.

Pics I saw showed it as a G-4, foreign registry, damage to the left wing leading edge and supposably ingestion of FOD into the #1 engine.... Probably 1 million + to repair...:yikes:

Huh??? The article specifically stated that it's a Challenger... Sounded like it was owned by an American company too, so dunno about the foreign registry thing.

Pics I saw showed it as a G-4, foreign registry, damage to the left wing leading edge and supposably ingestion of FOD into the #1 engine.... Probably 1 million + to repair...:yikes:

Huh??? The article specifically stated that it's a Challenger... Sounded like it was owned by an American company too, so dunno about the foreign registry thing.

Yeah, the media loves to get things wrong. Especially pictures. There was an article about a 737 a while ago with a picture of a 747. They were only one number off....

Regardless of the jet, it'll be an expensive fix...those things are crazy expensive. I remember an engineer at Learjet telling me that one of the delta fins on the back cost (I THINK) a couple hundred thousand to replace. Or maybe it was $80,000...but I think it was more. Regardless, private jet repairs are not fun.

Plane is N207JB:
http://www.faa.gov/data_research/accident_incident/preliminary_data/events02/media/06_207JB.txt

Coincidentally, N207JB was also worn by a Columbia 400 when it crashed in '09, killing two.

Also, this happened before in 2008 to a Challenger 600: http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=eb8a91e2-0e77-46d0-b19a-e5bee0a27ea3

Last edited:
Yeah, the media loves to get things wrong. Especially pictures. There was an article about a 737 a while ago with a picture of a 747. They were only one number off....

Regardless of the jet, it'll be an expensive fix...those things are crazy expensive. I remember an engineer at Learjet telling me that one of the delta fins on the back cost (I THINK) a couple hundred thousand to replace. Or maybe it was $80,000...but I think it was more. Regardless, private jet repairs are not fun.

Back in the 1980's it was $12000 to replace a wing tip on falcon 10... A challenger door today? I could retire on...

Back in the 1980's it was $12000 to replace a wing tip on falcon 10... A challenger door today? I could retire on...

The repair is only one side of the cost factor..... Loss of use while it is in the shop is usually the higher bill..:yesnod:

Wow. You really ARE Air Force aren't you? ;)

(How do you build an Air Force Base? Build the golf course first, then the buildings go around it. Grin!)
Darn tootin' -- you wouldn't want to run out of money by spending it all on runways and hangars before the O'club, commissary, and golf course have been built. :no: OTOH, if you run out of money building those "quality of life" facilities before the runway is finished, Congress really has no choice but to pony up the extra bucks to make the base operational. :yes:

Being ex-Navy as well as USAF, I know the other end of that, and I gotta say that life on an AFB was a lot better than life on a NAS.

Last edited:
It would fall under the "abnormal ground conditions" rule. Free drop at nearest point of relief within one club-length, no penalty.

Then what happens if a ball lands on the door the next day?

It would fall under the "abnormal ground conditions" rule. Free drop at nearest point of relief within one club-length, no penalty.

Nearest point of relief, but no closer to the hole.

It's only important to know that all ball-in-hand (drop) situations include the "no-closer to the hole" provision. Free drops are limited to one club-length (and yes, a player can use a long putter), one-stroke penalty drops are allowed two club-lengths.

Well, now that the important questions have been answered, we can move on to the mundane ones like how this happened.

Well he got it on the fairway. What are his odds of making par on this hole?

Well, now that the important questions have been answered, we can move on to the mundane ones like how this happened.

I am guessing the Challenger was passing though an altitude where the auto controls start to pressurize the cabin and the door was not properly shut and ... Bingo,,, off it came... You would think there are microswitches on the door itself that illuminate a light on the panel to show a main door ajar.:dunno:

If I had been golfing that day I wouldn't have had to worry, I'd have been in the trees on the right side... looking for my ball.

Back