Don't want to brag about my PPL Knowledge Test

Matthew Rogers

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Matt R
So I won't say that I got a 100%. Or that I double checked all of my answers and changed two of them. Or that I got lucky and did not get oddball questions about Cumulonimbus Mammas clouds or especially tricky VOR questions.

Guess I don't know what will be asked of me on my checkride oral now. Maybe I should have gotten one wrong on purpose.

Good luck to all those taking the test soon. I used the ASA prep book, PHAK, AFM, FAR/AIM, and King free online tests.

Now on to reading the ASA Oral Checkride book. At 43hrs with only 1.4 of Sim Instrument this weekend left and I am finished with training. Then I will get a check out from another instructor to identify any areas that my current instructor is not covering and focus on those.

So I won't say that I got a 100%. Or that I double checked all of my answers and changed two of them. Or that I got lucky and did not get oddball questions about Cumulonimbus Mammas clouds or especially tricky VOR questions.

Guess I don't know what will be asked of me on my checkride oral now. Maybe I should have gotten one wrong on purpose.

Good luck to all those taking the test soon. I used the ASA prep book, PHAK, AFM, FAR/AIM, and King free online tests.

Now on to reading the ASA Oral Checkride book. At 43hrs with only 1.4 of Sim Instrument this weekend left and I am finished with training. Then I will get a check out from another instructor to identify any areas that my current instructor is not covering and focus on those.

If I was your DE I'd run you through the wringer just out of spite and if you missed one question I'd turn you in for cheating on the written;) Congratulations

Your DPE is really going to push you in the oral now! ;) You are supposed to miss a few softball ones, give him something to ask.

So a related question is whether I need to have my CFI sign off that he did not cover any areas missed because there weren't any. Do I not need that endorsement for the checkride at this point? The test proctor also told me that I need to have a statement from my CFI in my log book that I was a US citizen and can speak english. I thought that was all covered in the process of applying for my student pilot license. Anybody have that written in their logbooks? Admittedly, my CFI is only part time (i.e. one student every few years), 88, and not up to date on the new ACS very well. But so far it has worked out great.

No worries midwestpa24, my DPE will be a She, so "He" will will not have to ask anything! But yes, I assumed that I would miss 1-3 questions as I never got a 100% on the practice tests. Always 86-96%. As I said, I got lucky with the random test questions. I never even had to use my E6B at all. So I now know how to use an old aluminum Colgan Airways branded E6B that I will probably never ever pull out again. Or maybe I will keep it and use it just for the hell of it.

So a related question is whether I need to have my CFI sign off that he did not cover any areas missed because there weren't any. Do I not need that endorsement for the checkride at this point? The test proctor also told me that I need to have a statement from my CFI in my log book that I was a US citizen and can speak english. I thought that was all covered in the process of applying for my student pilot license. Anybody have that written in their logbooks? Admittedly, my CFI is only part time (i.e. one student every few years), 88, and not up to date on the new ACS very well. But so far it has worked out great.

As far I know, no. That was verified during the IACRA process n

Now on to reading the ASA Oral Checkride book.
Keep in mind, the DPE won't be asking you rote memorization questions that the ASA oral guide shows you. They will be scenario based. For example...

You are making a Day VFR flight from T32, Sudden Stop airport (Collinsville, TX), to Commerce Texas, 2F7. You are at 2000 feet MSL, and flight visibility on the entire route is 2 miles.
  • Is the flight visibility 2NM? or 2SM?
  • Does this flight visibility prevent you from departing and flying toward Commerce? Why or Why not?
  • Can you land at at Commerce?
  • Why or why not?
  • Can you explain how you know this?
  • What can you tell me about the airspace along this route?

I got 100%... on my drivers license test. :( In any case, way to go!!!

@Matthew Rogers .... if you are currently using an iPad during flight....
  1. Ask the DPE if she permits usage during the test, and
  2. know your EFB's functions and features 100% cold. Fumbling around trying to figure out how to use the EFB to answer the DPE's question isn't going to make her happy.

The test proctor also told me that I need to have a statement from my CFI in my log book that I was a US citizen and can speak english. I thought that was all covered in the process of applying for my student pilot license. Anybody have that written in their logbooks?

The "US Citizen thing" and the "Speak English thing" are two different things.

I found this in Advisory Circular 61-65G:
Recordkeeping Requirements.
To meet the TSA’s requirements under Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR) § 1552.3, the flight training provider or certificated flight instructor (CFI) must do one of the following:
1. Keep a copy of the documents used to provide proof of citizenship for 5 years; or
2. Make an endorsement in both the student’s logbook and instructor’s logbook, or other record used by the instructor to record flight student endorsements, with the following statement: [and then there's a sample endorsement]

... but as far as I can tell, this whole 1552 section applies to Flight Schools. Don't know if it also applies to Part 61 flight instructors? I haven't taken that National Security Awareness training yet... maybe I'll know more about this after doing so...!
In any case, it sounds like the logbook endorsement is just one of two options that they have for recording a citizenship check.
I've got one of these in my logbook, but I don't remember where it came from or who gave it to me!

The "Speak English thing", on the other hand, is part of the Student Pilot (and other Pilot) requirements generally. You can find that in Part 61, right next to the bit where you have to be 16 years old or whatever. (61.83 and similar). The DPE verifies this on checkride day. :)

Edit: Oh, yeah, and I almost forgot... CONGRATS!

Nice job on the written. REALLY.

That may translate to nothing on the oral, though. Explaining concepts to a DPE is a very different experience than picking the best answer on a multiple choice test.

I'm not saying anything negative about your written test success, I'm just cautioning you to not rest on your laurels and expect the oral to be an easy thing because you answered 60 multiple guess questions correctly.

My CFI had a sticker with citizen thing stuck in the endorsements section of my log book. I went through a flight school.

Lucky, I got TWO questions on ADF's. I've never seen nor flown a plane that even had an ADF in it lol.

The test proctor also told me that I need to have a statement from my CFI in my log book that I was a US citizen and can speak english. I thought that was all covered in the process of applying for my student pilot license. Anybody have that written in their logbooks? Admittedly, my CFI is only part time (i.e. one student every few years), 88, and not up to date on the new ACS very well. But so far it has worked out great.

There are multiple methods of TSA compliance, and making a logbook endorsement is only one of them. The test proctor doesn't know what he or she is talking about, and is not a policeman for the TSA, and should mind their his or her own business, as you don't need any of those things to take a written test.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Even if you got lucky and didn't draw any of the really tricky questions, a high score is a hard-earned accomplishment!

There are multiple methods of TSA compliance, and making a logbook endorsement is only one of them. The test proctor doesn't know what he or she is talking about, and is not a policeman for the TSA, and should mind their his or her own business, as you don't need any of those things to take a written test.

Bit harsh there. I think the proctor probably told him that in a helpful manner because he didn't have the TSA endorsement in his logbook I'm guessing.

Oh youre screwed now! The DPE is gonna take that as a challenge!

Bit harsh there. I think the proctor probably told him that in a helpful manner because he didn't have the TSA endorsement in his logbook I'm guessing.

You don't need a TSA endorsement in your logbook. The written test proctor is not a logbook inspector.

You don't need a TSA endorsement in your logbook. The written test proctor is not a logbook inspector.

1. Endorsement of U.S. citizenship recommended by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA): Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR)
    § 1552.3(h).

I certify that [First name, MI, Last name] has presented me a [type of document presented, such as a U.S. birth certificate or U.S. passport, and the relevant control or sequential number on the document, if any] establishing that [he or she] is a U.S. citizen or national in accordance with 49 CFR § 1552.3(h).

/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-19

1. Endorsement of U.S. citizenship recommended by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA): Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR)
    § 1552.3(h).

I certify that [First name, MI, Last name] has presented me a [type of document presented, such as a U.S. birth certificate or U.S. passport, and the relevant control or sequential number on the document, if any] establishing that [he or she] is a U.S. citizen or national in accordance with 49 CFR § 1552.3(h).

/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-19

An example of a "recommended" endorsement is not a requirement. What does 49 CFR 1552.3 say?

The *CFI* is required to keep some kind of record of a citizenship check. (And a logbook entry is just one possible kind of acceptable record.)
A *student* is not required to have anything, to satisfy this reg.
A student is not even required to be a citizen. If they're not, there are just different hoops/documentation to be jumped through to get trained.
And although speaking English is a requirement, it doesn't go in any kind of logbook endorsement at all.

The test proctor probably has "seen a lot of logbooks go by", and thought he or she knew something, but didn't. I don't think dmspilot's being harsh, since misinformation is easy to spread, and can sometimes be harmful.

I just did my TSA awareness training last night, so... :)

What took you so long? I received a three digit written exam score back in 1998.

-Skip

Ps welcome to the club!

I can't remember if it was my private or instrument, but I got like a 94 or 96 or something like that. My face sunk.

I remember the person telling me I passed was all excited for me... then saw my face and said "I've never seen anyone so depressed by a 96!"

I REALLY wanted that 100! Congratulations!

Congratulation! Well done :)

My CFI had a sticker with citizen thing stuck in the endorsements section of my log book. I went through a flight school.
-- same for me
Although initially I brought my passport card with me and turns out that only allows you to travel to/from Canada/Mexico via land, it is not considered proof of citizenship (WTF?) So I had to go back to the school with my passport book.

I don't remember how I did on any of my FAA writtens, other than passing.

An example of a "recommended" endorsement is not a requirement. What does 49 CFR 1552.3 say?

Well, evidently you're right. But I still write the endorsement myself. The Gleim logbooks the school sells has it printed in the back. So I use that also.

Back