Don't "type in" the hijack code

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
GEORGETOWN, S.C. (AP) - In the world of aviation, what's the difference between the codes 7600 and 7500? It turns out plenty of panic. Deputies and a SWAT team surrounded a plane at the Georgetown County Airport after one of the pilots accidentally entered a code saying the aircraft has been hijacked.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0905/262923.html
"Typed in" Yeah, sometimes we type LOL!, and especially WTF? :rolleyes:

I've often worried about getting the two codes mixed up myself. Luckily it's on a sticker on my kneeboard.

mikea said:
I've often worried about getting the two codes mixed up myself. Luckily it's on a sticker on my kneeboard.

seven seven going to heaven
seven six waving sticks
seven five hold'em high

should we really let the news report such items? Seems that should be information that only pilots and ATC should know.

I know that it can be learned from anyone who reads the FAR/AIM, but still....

If anyone wanted to learn the codes, wouldn't take anything but a quick google search.

As we discussed in a previous thread, there is another secret code system. And there's there is yet another for the DC FRZ.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to... know. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
fgcason said:
seven seven going to heaven
seven six waving sticks
seven five hold'em high

That's pretty good! I start with 75 and think of the following.

"Hi, Jack!
Can't talk now.
Having an emergency."

Carol said:

"Hi, Jack!
Can't talk now.
Having an emergency."

That's clever. But I don't answer phones while having an emergency. ;)

Or you could just remember that 77 is the generic emergency number and you should only use the number closest to that and forget the other one.

Last edited:
Carol said:

"Hi, Jack!
Can't talk now.
Having an emergency."

A student from a country ruled by a monarchy (stay with me) was having a problem remembering the codes. I told him just to remember HRE--His Royal Emergency. It took with him right away. Years later he told me he would never again forget the proper codes.

Back