Don't think I'll be going to Mazatlán anytime soon

cowtowner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cowtowner
Have you considered mounting a machine gun on your airplane and buzzing them? I've heard Ukraine is giving them out like candy, if you don't have one to mount... :D

I spent a very enjoyable few days in Mazatlan a few decades a go. At the time the US news was full of stories of violence and death, but all I found were friendly people welcoming of travelers, even a ragtag fellow like me on a broken down old motorcycle that went "pahkita pahkita" and trailed blue smoke. US media always reports the worst, they want to scare scare you so they can sell whatever their advertisers are advertising.

I do have to admit that I missed Chiapas due to circumstances. That week there was a sizable revolution, and I heard second had they'd started shooting Gringos. There's a myth that Gringos steal their babies for medical experiments. Being a genetic scientist I figure I'd have been the first to hit the wall. Surprisingly I never saw any mention of any of this in the Western media at the time.

I was in Mazatlan just less than a year ago, and found it to be quite nice.

I do, however, mostly keep ourselves to the peninsula of Baja and it seems to be more tame than the rest of the country.

The border is violent also ... we're catching a bunch of drugs and fentanyl despite CBP acting as babysitters. The cartel is nice enough to throw the people they're mad at in a trunk and drive them over to the Mexico side before whacking them so our homicide rate stays low and looks good. It was a mess downtown, but they cleaned it up for the one day Biden came. I used to travel there A LOT and no longer do ... I live close to the border and it's insane now. You all don't get even 5% of the info on stuff going on around here ...

The border is violent also ... we're catching a bunch of drugs and fentanyl despite CBP acting as babysitters. The cartel is nice enough to throw the people they're mad at in a trunk and drive them over to the Mexico side before whacking them so our homicide rate stays low and looks good. It was a mess downtown, but they cleaned it up for the one day Biden came. I used to travel there A LOT and no longer do ... I live close to the border and it's insane now. You all don't get even 5% of the info on stuff going on around here ...
Border has always been rough, it was 40 years ago. Get 10 miles inside Mexico and things calm down quite a bit. Tijuana was crazy, Ensenada was placid.

Border has always been rough, it was 40 years ago. Get 10 miles inside Mexico and things calm down quite a bit. Tijuana was crazy, Ensenada was placid.
??? It is NOWHERE near as safe now as it was 40 years ago. Not even close.

??? It is NOWHERE near as safe now as it was 40 years ago. Not even close.

I was in high school 40 years ago ... drinking age was 18 then, and a bunch of teens my age used to go there to party. Would walk back and forth over the downtown bridge and were never harassed.

I used to go there a lot to get custom cowboy boots made that were AWESOME and WAY cheaper than our EL Paso prices (which El Paso prices are lower than the rest of the USA as Tony Lama and the other boot manufacturers are here). Horse racing and greyhound racing used to be huge there ... went with my father nightly when I was 6-10 years old ... they used to do bull fighting there as well. Traveling to interior of Mexico via Juarez airport is WAY cheaper than using an airline in the USA, still is ...

Back