Don't nuttin work no more?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Hey, Nick, you think you got troubles answering the phones? I have to call the appliance dealer tomorrow.

My new washer is DOA.

Buying it and installing was an acceptable hassle. although I effectively was trapped at home for a second day.

An hour after the guys left, I happily loaded up my first load. I'm thrilled that I now have pre-soak through extra rinse. I've been doing that the hard way, making extra trips.

I watch TV and go online for an hour plus and go back to he basement to see how far along it is. I hear it's still running. I see that the timer hasn't moved a millimeter. My clothes have been agitating so long there's barely a thread left. The air smells like freshly cooked motor. The water has the color the dark clothes used to be.

I stood there and ran the dial around for 20 minutes to rinse and spin my clothes. I notice that there's steam in the basket, only it's not steam. It's the smoke from the motor.

I will call first thing Friday morning and they WILL send me a new one and should give $50 for my trouble. I'm waiting for the fight where they offer to send out a repair person. Why should I have to have this thing die years earlier due to the strained motor because I dared to buy it?

BTW, this is a Whirlpool who makes about all the washers sold in the U.S. now. I think they build them in Mexico. We're doomed.

Last edited:
Sometime I'll relay the story of a friend's "$20,000" refrigerator. The icemaker has never worked right.

Just wait until all our appliances are "Made in China" ... it's coming, mark my words.

I've had a refrig die in four years; dishwasher in 2 and washing machine in four: all top brand rated best by Consumer's Reports.

Things didn't used to be this way.

Best,

Dave

wsuffa said:
Sometime I'll relay the story of a friend's "$20,000" refrigerator. The icemaker has never worked right.
Ha ha. I know this story very well. Oh, I may not have heard your story but I do know.... Someday I should tell you the story of the $100,000 light switch.

Short version of the story goes like this. Something breaks in refrigerator. They measure the space carefully. Go and order the new refrigerator, carefully specifying the dimensions. It is scheduled for delivery while they are out of town, so they have a neighbor babysit during the arrival.

Turns out that the new fridge is 1/8-inch too big, vertically, to fit between the overhead cabinets and the floor. After talking by phone, they agree to leave it sitting in the middle of the kitchen, plugged in, and the husband will deal with it when they return from the trip. The return part of the trip involves picking up the wife's mother for a visit.

The day after they arrive home, while said mother is sitting at the bar in the kitchen, the husband takes to trying to make the refrigerator fit.... by using a crowbar to lift the cabinet and gain a bit of room....

You can guess the rest of the story...

The cabinets were not well attached, two of them (the ones containing the glassware) came crashing down, on top of the new $500 expresso machine. Husband lets out a stream of words (the mother says there were some words she'd never heard before).

They ended up having to get the kitchen completely redone. To accomodate the refrigerator. And to add insult to injury, despite 4+ service visits, the ice maker has never worked right. They are afraid to get a replacement....

I called.

The rep didn't argue about replaiocng it but teh firts time is Tuesday. Amazingly, I work on Tuesdyas. So I get to stay home all day on Saturday.

When I asked why I get to go another week plus without a washer she said to blame to manufacturer.

Ok, then. I guess I've been told off.

Now I'll either go to the laundromat or run this piece o crap manually.

Dave Siciliano said:
I've had a refrig die in four years; dishwasher in 2 and washing machine in four: all top brand rated best by Consumer's Reports.

Things didn't used to be this way.

Best,

Dave

Our old washer decided not to shoot out hot water. Had the repair man out and asked if we should just replace it because it's so old. The guy said heck, no! This old machine is a heck of a lot better quality than any new one we might get. Did the repair.......3 years later it's still happily chugging along.

Kaye

Kaye said:
Our old washer decided not to shoot out hot water. Had the repair man out and asked if we should just replace it because it's so old. The guy said heck, no! This old machine is a heck of a lot better quality than any new one we might get. Did the repair.......3 years later it's still happily chugging along.

Kaye
Ah, but, one thing that did work on this old one is an inteilligent water temperature control. I noticed that the water flow changed with hot or cold based on how hot or cold the water in the tub - not as it came in - was for the setting I had.

So we have all of that computer control - it's suppsoed to know how clean the clothes are, too - and the dial still has to pushed ahead mechanically and that's broken.

The dealer could have said, "sorry."

Back