Don't Mess With Texas

Funny.....IIRC that ad was filmed using the Arizona Wing's B-17 "Sentimental Journey"

Funny.....IIRC that ad was filmed using the Arizona Wing's B-17 "Sentimental Journey"

The Arizona Wing only pays for the privilege to operate Sentimental Journey. All the planes are owned by headquarters at Midland.

The Arizona Wing only pays for the privilege to operate Sentimental Journey. All the planes are owned by headquarters at Midland.

While that is true, you'd think they could have gotten a Texas based plane for the shoot.

While that is true, you'd think they could have gotten a Texas based plane for the shoot.
Why fly a plane all the way from Galveston or Houston to film a shoot in the desert, if there's a plane closer? Only a few folks BS'ing on a flying-related forum are ever going to know the difference...

Why fly a plane all the way from Galveston or Houston to film a shoot in the desert, if there's a plane closer? Only a few folks BS'ing on a flying-related forum are ever going to know the difference...

Are you saying Mesa, AZ is closer to Texas than Texas itself...or are you suggesting they filmed the spot in someplace other than Texas which would make it even funnier?

Are you saying Mesa, AZ is closer to Texas than Texas itself...or are you suggesting they filmed the spot in someplace other than Texas which would make it even funnier?

Just looking at a map it seems that Mesa is closer to west texas than Houston

Pah! Let those guys come up here and live in the cold awhile, they won't want to mess with us.

I'm saying it's a long-ass way from Houston or Galveston (where I know at least one CAF B-17 is based) to West Texas, where the desert roads shown in the commercial are. I wouldn't be surprised (or offended) if the spot was actually filmed in AZ or NM...there's plenty of terrain from W. TX to S. CA that looks pretty much all the same.

Here's something else that might shock you about the authenticity of that clip: The CAF doesn't actually bomb litterers in Texas! :eek:

Here's something else that might shock you about the authenticity of that clip: The CAF doesn't actually bomb litterers in Texas! :eek:

we probably wouldn't have as much trouble with member retention if we did though...

I wouldn't be surprised (or offended) if the spot was actually filmed in AZ or NM...there's plenty of terrain from W. TX to S. CA that looks pretty much all the same.

Sure...all you guys care about is that the spot promotes Texas.

I just take pride in the fact that it was my hometown plane that did the shoot.

Big Deal, Exept here in Idaho we use RF4's or B-52's.

My Father had an F4 go over him so low he could see the wing tip on both side windows. My grandfather had been sleeping in the passenger seat prior to the fly over, he was wide awake afterwards.

I also talked to one of the B-52 crew members here that did that to a pickup on a back country highway. Said the pickup ran off the road when they opened the bomb doors.

Of course both these event happened in the mid 1980's.

Brian

Sure...all you guys care about is that the spot promotes Texas.
Er, actually, it's an anti-litter ad.
I just take pride in the fact that it was my hometown plane that did the shoot.
Plenty of different reasons to appreciate the spot. Everyone wins!

Back