Don't mess with helo pilot at end of shift

So the cop in the SUV hits the suspect with his vehicle (really?), and then sits there as the suspect continues to run about rather slowly. The helicopter has to land, and a crew member ends up doing the takedown.

That video has been out for several years. Had some fall out too. Even with hitting the guy with the patrol car, there were other issues - You can see the TFO's gun just flopping around and the bad guy grabbing for it. The TFO eventually slings the holster off and throws it.

Text book for what NOT to do in this situation as a LEO. I won't even get into my thoughts on the helicopter operation.

Whole new take on the term Ambulance Chaser

EDIT: Disregard. something had me thinking it was medevac copter

Last edited:
That video has been out for several years…I won't even get into my thoughts on the helicopter operation.
Would be interested in your full assessment, plus a link to the original news account. Might add evidence that helicopter pilots are crazier than fixed wing pilots, as a rule. That’s been my observation over the years.

Would be interested in your full assessment, plus a link to the original news account. Might add evidence that helicopter pilots are crazier than fixed wing pilots, as a rule. That’s been my observation over the years.

Happened back in 2016 in Houston.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/...ber-takes-down-burglary-suspect-during-chase/

As a general rule we can do a lot of neat (and stupid) things in a helicopter. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. So much could have gone wrong here.

Now that I know what TFO stands for, what are their qualifications? Rules of engagement? This is interesting.

For a TFO, it depends on the agency.

Most are sworn officers with previous ground experience. Some are also pilots who are building time towards a PIC position. Some agencies have two command pilots in the aircraft and they swap off who runs the camera and flying duties.

Use of force is pretty consistent with the guys on the ground. He’s a LEO so he has the authority to chase bad guys but you have to have a darn good reason why you landed when there are guys on the ground.

This wasn’t a murder suspect or an active shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! That operation did have a Keystone Kops appearance to it...all around.

If you note, the online report is in error in stating: ...after he was run over by a police vehicle.

Mr. Hill was NOT run over. The driver of the vehicle that hit Mr. Hill, expertly side-swiped him as I believe is taught in tactical driving courses. Mr. Hill was knocked down, but obviously unhurt. I'm glad they caught the guy. Notice in particular how much the vehicle slows just before impact.

Mr. Hill was seen fleeing the scene of a residential burglary in the 900 block of Melwood. I'm sure the owners were glad he was apprehended.
Hill, 30, is charged with evading arrest. He was out on a $100,000 bond for a January charge of engaging in criminal activity. In March, a judge allowed Hill to stay out on bond even though he has tested positive for marijuana.
Court records show Hill has a long criminal history, including drug possession, theft, assault of a family member and violating a protective order.

Mr. Hill was NOT run over. The driver of the vehicle that hit Mr. Hill, expertly side-swiped him as I believe is taught in tactical driving courses. Mr. Hill was knocked down, but obviously unhurt. I'm glad they caught the guy. Notice in particular how much the vehicle slows just before impact.

There is not a single "tactical driving course" that would teach somebody to sideswipe a bad guy while he is on foot. Hitting somebody with a vehicle is considered use of deadly force in every state in the nation.

We are taught a PIT maneuver that is used against a vehicle which is considered a non deadly use of force.

Ramming a car can be appropriate in some circumstances. And I'd say pretty much the same for car vs person in some. But sometimes it's not a good idea.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...11-year-old-girl-in-ramming-incident/3381037/

In either case, it's using a vehicle as a weapon.

I'm not going to take an absolute stand on it. Bump a guy who's fleeing from an armed robbery? Sure. Try to kill a guy because you see his sport bike as a danger to others? Over the line to me.

Looking at the cop who got out of the SUV, I don't think he was in shape to be chasing anyone.

If you bingewatch police chases on YT, you'll recognize that police cars are commonly used in the US to knock down fleeing perps who are afoot. I saw a half dozen just last week! They are very skilled at it. Not to say bruises were avoided but I doubt any bones were broken.

Back