Don't look for Pvt fields on a 196,296 or 396

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
So I was planning a flight to a private paved strip that is on the sectionals ( no instrument approach) and I fire up the 296 to load in the route for the intended trip and I go happily along plugging in the home field then the first VOR and the Second, third and fourth. ( I know I can go D-> but felt like using it as a back up for an IR trip in a /U plane.So I get to the destination field and NADA nothing it won't plug in ugh!

I call Garmin and they tell me that Jepp does not include private fields (in their data base unless the field pays a fee ( onetime fee) to be in the data base. They suggest I call Jepp. I call Jepp and Jepp confirms. Said they never got accurate info from the Feds on the private strips like when they close during certain seasons or if they close permanatly etc. They couldn't tell me what the fee to be included was but man what a PITA.

Garmin told me that private fields and Heliports are in the 496 Data base but thats the only one and that Garmin includes them not Jepp. Sheeseh now I'm acutally gonna have to do some pilotage.

Can't you create your own destination and put what information you want in it? I know I can on my AirMap.

I've thought about that Dean. I'm not sure how to do it. I suppose I could try to enter in the lat/long but I don't think a 296 will allow me to do that.

Since I live on a private field that was EXACTLY why I opted for the 496!

I've thought about that Dean. I'm not sure how to do it. I suppose I could try to enter in the lat/long but I don't think a 296 will allow me to do that.

My ol' 295 can do that. Look for "user waypoints."

Adam: It's been awhile since I used the 296, but I do recall having the ability to enter user way points. I believe lat. longs are one method. I did that flying over the Gulf of Mexico going to Merida and back. Some of the way points on the route weren't in the GPS DB. (I also had an M-3 in the plane and entered points in there.)

Best,

Dave

Does the 296 have a SD slot? if so, find someone with the map create software and make your own that way. On mine I can just go to create way point and enter the lat/long.

Got MapSource?

Either enter it through there and upload to the GPS, or set a user defined waypoint in the GPS (hit the "Mark" button- on my older unit you hold down the "Enter" button).

Or go to http://navaid.com/GPX/ and select the data you want, including private airports, and suck it into MapSource (it reads GPX files). Select the private field or select an area of data and send it to the GPS.

Edit: If your MapSource doesn't read GPX, it's a free upgrade from Garmin to one that does.

Last edited:
Adam, when I went on my grass strip tour, I had the 296 and a LOT of the airports I entered into my 296 were private. I wish I could remember how I did that. Hmmmmm. Maybe I used Flitesoft? I think that's how I did that. There were 99 airports on my route I entered into the 296 and I can't remember if I used direct through my Flitesoft program or used Mapsource.

Can't find your way home? (see also: Blind Faith)

Yup....either on the IFR GPS where I have programmed in my home-drome, or on the sectional that I use in conjunction with both GPS's to ensure I always know where I am at...or I can dial the ATL VOR and I know what radial I should be on to get "near" the house.

All of that said, if I can put in the airfield directly and follow the pink line I am going to do so. :dunno:

Thanks everyone. I do have MapSource but really had no idea how to use it. It came with the 296 but there weren't really any instructions. It worked like a charm. I also plugged in the lat/long into the 296 on the user waypoints page.

Thanks again!!!!:cheerswine::thumbsup:

A local field, Pepperel Airport (MA26) wasn't in the BK 89B. I had to set it as as a user waypoint. I got the Lat/Lon from their website. You might also find it in the LOW USE AIRPORTS in the back of the AFD.
Google Earth/map gets you that info also.

Adam,

I don't know if the 296 gives "500" call outs when approaching to land like a 396 does but, if so...then make sure you use the airport symbol when manually entering a private strip waypoint because, by doing so, you'll get the "500" call out even at manually entered airstrips.

For those using Lowrance, the same method is needed. I have the Airmap 500 and searched a private strip as well, nothing entered in the database.

You can hit the arrow keys on the map screen to get the cursor, then hit Enter to add a Waypoint. Options there include at cursor postion, current GPS postion, entered position (for Lat/Long) and some others. Default is Waypoint 001, but you can rename, change symbol, and set the field altitude.

I just clicked the screen at my current cursor location, and entered the Latitude / Longitude for the airport per AirNav.

Back