Don't look down!

Sure, why not? That doesn't look too bad at all.
Then again, I think this looks like fun too:

Attachments

• EmpireStateBuildingAntenna.jpg
    EmpireStateBuildingAntenna.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 52
As long as I'm properly tied off to a sound structure and/or have one hand free to hold on, I'm good with working up high. I've never worked quite that high, but high enough to get killed... it doesn't take much, especially if you land on something hard or pointy.

Looks like fun... except it's just housekeeping. Bleh. :D

Ha! I wonder if the only folks who will reply to this thread are those that WOULD do that job?! :) Does anybody go weak in the knees just looking at pictures like that?

Ha! I wonder if the only folks who will reply to this thread are those that WOULD do that job?! :) Does anybody go weak in the knees just looking at pictures like that?

YES! :redface:

I don't like heights, but fly airplanes. What a contradiction, I know... Can't explain it

I have the same contradiction with heights. I quit working a family business as a lineman (power line) because I couldn't stand the heights. If my boys don't climb the ladders to put up the Christmas lights, we don't have them. :) Weird.

They're giving the Space Needle a pressure washing, for the first time since 1962's World Fair.

http://www.komotv.com/news/local/18982744.html

Scroll way down to the bottom and check out some of the pictures. Would you do that job??

I know the guys in that picture. The one on the right is the president of the company that manufactured the antenna. Tom is a really good guy....

Am I afraid of heights? No. I've been up the side of a 35 story building in a window washer's bucket for inspection purposes.

Would I do this job? No. There is more to life than a paycheck.

-Skip

I read somewhere that pilots, as a group, are disproportionally afraid of heights. The statistic was something like 90% of all pilots have a higher than normal fear of being in high places. It must be a control thing...

I read somewhere that pilots, as a group, are disproportionally afraid of heights. The statistic was something like 90% of all pilots have a higher than normal fear of being in high places. It must be a control thing...
Never thought about the control thing...good point! I'm still contemplating a parachute jump, but don't know if my fear of heights will be a problem in that case. Doesn't seem to be a problem in an airplane.

Never thought about the control thing...good point! I'm still contemplating a parachute jump, but don't know if my fear of heights will be a problem in that case. Doesn't seem to be a problem in an airplane.
I hate being in any sort of turbulence when I am a passenger. With my hand on the stick or yoke, I am fine in even rough stuff. Must be a control issue.

I think it's more of a lack of exposure to an environment than lack of control that causes the problem. Hanging by a single rope 50-300ft up in empty air gives one a sense that there is a lot of gravity down at the bottom that's looking for any way it can to yank them out of the sky and splat'em on the ground. That can be creepy. In a plane, the person has a safe comfortable box to sit in that disconnects them from the reality of being exposed to empty air far away from the ground. Also objects 2000-10,000 feet below don't appear personally realistic. It looks like a toy train set down there, not real size cars and people. Planes transition through the reality height range (50-300ish feet or something like that) too fast while the pilot is too busy flying to look down and say "eieieyikeeiey" while the box they're in gives them a safe place to be. Add those three conditions together and suddenly they can handle the height.

I've taken a few people that are afraid of heights up a little ways. Some on ladders, some on rope, some next to empty air cliff edges. Give them something to do instead of looking at all the gravity down there and they tend to not have much of a problem even if they look out horizontally after a bit. Once someone trusts themselves, their equipment, whoever they're with and concentrating on something else, it's not the big deal while it was before. Once someone can force themselves to quit thinking of the distance off the ground and potential consequences, they tend to be ok.

IMHO being way up high isn't much different than being suspended the same way 5 feet off the ground. You're busy doing what you're doing and not worrying about how high you are or how bad it'll hurt if the Earth were to jump up and slam into you. As long as you ignore the ground and don't do anything stupid, it'll ignore you as well.

Just a thought. Could be completely wrong.
Hmmm. I have a friend that has a degree in psychology. I'll have to bring the fear of heights on edges vs in airplanes thing up next time I get a chance.

That made me queasy :vomit::vomit:

Then don't look at these:
(You looked didn't ya? I told you not to look but nooooooo, you just had to look anyway. :D )

Attachments

• emptyair.jpg
    emptyair.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 13
  • caleverasdome.jpg
    caleverasdome.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 12
I think we had a "fear of heights" thread once upon a time here and IIRC, there were a lot of us that had the same feelings. Mine has gotten to the point that I'm really uncomfortable in a lot of situations - ladders, fire escapes, the edge of the grand canyon, royal gorge bridge, mount evans drive, even a stupid little glass window in the floor of the second floor of the REI building in Denver - stupid stuff but it just tightens my guts up!

On the other hand, I've rapelled a few times on some 30' - 100' faces and it wasn't nearly as bad as some of the above experiences.

Last edited:
My fear of heights is really a fear of falling off. I never fear falling off my airplane except when checking the fuel level.

I think you hit it, Peggy. It's a "fear of falling" not a fear of heights?

"Falling - with style!" Buzz Lightyear

I've gotten the heebies IN the plane when looking out at 5000 feet or higher.

I can handle being on a ladder OK a story up if I can hold on to something.

I got shaky in the knees on the Royal Gorge bridge where you can look through your feet between the planks into nothing but down. I wondered why the people on the bridge had funny looks on their faces when I drive by on those bouncing planks.

I get uneasy when looking down... it's almost like I feel a force pushing me over the edge. But, never while I'm in an airplane.

I would do it! In fact, I've always wanted to be the guy who climbs the tower to change the lamp. Always Higher!

I think you hit it, Peggy. It's a "fear of falling" not a fear of heights?

"Falling - with style!" Buzz Lightyear

For me, more specifically, it's a fear of what happens when the falling stops. :D

The cliff-edge photos are a little unnerving- nothing to hold on to! :eek:

This is why I don't mind heights, but I've never had the desire to try unbelayed rock climbing...

Back