Don't forget to Stick the tanks!!!!!

In the club I used to be in, I was going to take the PA28-180 up right after someone got back from a flight. I needed full fuel, so the fuel truck came to the hangar. I took the caps off before the truck got there and noticed they were REALLY dry. Oh well...

The fuel truck pumped 3-4 more gallons than 'useable' for the plane into the tanks. Sure, the fuel truck meter could be off a bit, but not THAT much!! I don't usually rat on people for 'small' stuff, but that was ridiculously unsafe. Luckily, one of the club's Board Member CFI's was there so I called him over and showed him the fuel receipt. Not sure if they every said anything to the pilot or not but I did all I could do.

After thinking about it... That might be the same pilot that totalled the plane a couple of years later after a botched go-around attempt with full flaps - yawed and rolled into a row of hangars.

As a wise man once said "sigh..."

And on a low wing, no less...

Truly inexcusable.

LOL...no kidding. It is not like one has to climb on anything?

Also, my pre-flight check has a check of the fuel gauges....did he not do that check before takeoff?

Also, my pre-flight check has a check of the fuel gauges....did he not do that check before takeoff?

According to the article, the pilot claimed that the gauges weren't working...which is rather self-incriminating. If the gauges weren't working, that's all the more reason to visually check the tanks. I think it's probably more like the gauges weren't working because there wasn't any fuel to register on the gauges.

Trapper John

According to the article, the pilot claimed that the gauges weren't working...which is rather self-incriminating. If the gauges weren't working, that's all the more reason to visually check the tanks. I think it's probably more like the gauges weren't working because there wasn't any fuel to register on the gauges.

Trapper John

Well you know it does take a couple of minutes to twist those caps off and look in the tank. That's a lot of time when you're in a hurry to kill yourself. :rolleyes:

My dumb old 1997 Sable has a lighted fuel pump that comes on when it's out of gas, but these mumblethousand dollar airplanes don't have that?

AND NOBODY IS GOING TO JAIL?

Sue!

NEW LAW NEEDED!

There already is one.

Or were you being facetious? :smilewinkgrin::rofl:

ARE YOU SERIOUS? THAT law says the poor, innocent pilot victim must do something when there's perfectly proven technology to have a low fuel light right in front of him in many automobiles.

NTSB Cause of accident: Low fuel warning light installation non-attainment

then we can have "Low fuel warning fuel truck beaconing beacon installation non-attainment"

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back