Don't call call-centers on holidays

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Please people. Please. Unless you have a serious problem that MUST be resolved on a holiday, don't call. Those call centers that are actually open are usually running with the bare minimum number of people.

We currently have a queue of about 30 people waiting because they decided "Hey, Thanksgiving's a good day to pay my bill and complain because my bill is $1 higher than last month!"

I understand it is my job, but the reason we're here is to deal with outages for the football games. Everyone who is calling for other reasons can go to hell, they are causing delays for the customers that need our help today.

I like to just call and pound numbers and hang up.

SkyHog said:
Please people. Please. Unless you have a serious problem that MUST be resolved on a holiday, don't call. Those call centers that are actually open are usually running with the bare minimum number of people.

We currently have a queue of about 30 people waiting because they decided "Hey, Thanksgiving's a good day to pay my bill and complain because my bill is $1 higher than last month!"

I understand it is my job, but the reason we're here is to deal with outages for the football games. Everyone who is calling for other reasons can go to hell, they are causing delays for the customers that need our help today.
I remember working for Thanksgiving at a call center and getting double pay. Nice stuff. But I gotta disagree with your last paragraph. I don't think the company sent out a memo saying "Today is solely for those customers who have outages for the football games". Of course, are they even rolling trucks today? Just deal with the insanity as usual, and if you get double pay, enjoy it :D

wbarnhill said:
I remember working for Thanksgiving at a call center and getting double pay. Nice stuff. But I gotta disagree with your last paragraph. I don't think the company sent out a memo saying "Today is solely for those customers who have outages for the football games". Of course, are they even rolling trucks today? Just deal with the insanity as usual, and if you get double pay, enjoy it :D

We are actually rolling trucks for outages and problems related to the football games only.

It was never said that is the only calls we're supposed to take, but it was said that the reason we were staying open was because of outages only. People can call for billing issues with no problem, but why would you call on a holiday if you don't have a serious issue that needs solving immediately?

Selfishness. That's it.

SkyHog said:
We are actually rolling trucks for outages and problems related to the football games only.

It was never said that is the only calls we're supposed to take, but it was said that the reason we were staying open was because of outages only. People can call for billing issues with no problem, but why would you call on a holiday if you don't have a serious issue that needs solving immediately?

Selfishness. That's it.

But, the bill is higher than before!!!!! HAVE YOU NO HEART!??? :D

SkyHog said:
People can call for billing issues with no problem, but why would you call on a holiday if you don't have a serious issue that needs solving immediately?

Selfishness. That's it.

Because we are off work today, and we can't call from work, so we call today.

Ok, so I have 22 more servers hosting 155 databases to run backups on before midnight Friday and my VPN access just hiccup'ed. Oops, shutting down the servers at midnight Friday but VPN access is yanked now? Oh, no problem, just switch to the London or Tel Aviv VPN gateway. Right ... Nick, can you help me?

Just trying to commiserate about working this weekend, Nick. On the bright side, one of the turkeys went in the smoker early this morning and the other awaits its appointment with the oven.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving in spite of it all.

NC19143 said:
Because we are off work today, and we can't call from work, so we call today.

So what would you do if we weren't open today, as originally planned? You'd call on Saturday, most likely.

So call on Saturday. Everyone wins.

* By everyone, I mean the customer with a serious problem that is on hold because your bill is $.25 cents more this month. I also mean the representatives that have to work today and not be with their family, because if there are no calls, they may send people home. I also mean you, because you still get your bill problem solved, albeit a day later than you planned.

Last edited:
I guess they just should not give any of their employees the day off then ;)

Besides at least for you they don't shoot at you when you are at work.

SkyHog said:

Selfishness. That's it.

Nick, can I get your work phone number, I could care less about the football teams that are playing today, but wanted to complain that i could not get the National Dog Show. Is Comcast prejudice against Dog lovers??

JK, Nick! Have as good day as you can having to work. Go see Mom after, you will surely feel better then.
Regards,
KD

Last edited:
Nick, given that most folks seem to love to hate their cable provider, I bet most mark it on their calendars the best time (worst for you) to call. Besides, how dare a phone lackey like you tell me not to call. What a slacker. A slackey lackey.

By now you've made it through the day and are safely at your parent's home for a nice dinner and visit. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Yep, I made it. The call volume never slowed down. Unbelievable.

Got some turkey in me (and Piper) and all is good.

Hey Nick - when I was in W. Palm last week I noticed several billboards with either COMCAST and a big red X through it, or Just Say No to Comcast!

What is THAT all about? Any idea?

Laurie said:
Hey Nick - when I was in W. Palm last week I noticed several billboards with either COMCAST and a big red X through it, or Just Say No to Comcast!

What is THAT all about? Any idea?

They are RCN adds. RCN is an overbuilder in many states, they taget Comcast and overbuild their system and beat the crap out of Comcast's rates. If you live in an area that has RCN there, I suggest checking them out, because Comcast can't compete with them.

RCN is my hero.

Back