lprellwitz

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iBug
Nick: this one's for you....

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5105N

ConUS claim is pending.

While I called the tower chief earlier in the day to let them know of our plans, I think we still managed to provide some entertainment value in an otherwise calm evening.

From Approach (who questioned (on a beautiful VFR night):"It's VFR; you're filed IFR?" Response: "yeah, figured they wouldn't let us in any other way." "Yeah, OK; radar vectors.....)

To Tower: "cleared for the ILS Runway 14R, caution wake turbulence for departing heavy aircraft, and you've got a heavy aircraft behind you. Keep your speed up all the way in;what's your current speed?"
Response: "We're a 172, speed is 115."
Controller response: "Oooh..." (hey, at least I wasn't doing this in a 152!)

To Ground: less sarcastic than tower, and very cool and accomodating to taxi us over to a holding pad by a closed runway where we could power down, get out, take some shots, and depart - Signature got no $$$ from us this evening..

And to the captain of a 747 cargo plane who, when told to sequence behind a Cessna 172 for departure on runway 22L, responded in a very nonchalant fashion, after just one 'uh', and the slightest of pauses...

Not something to do every day, and certainly something we won't forget any time soon.

Leslie and Grant

ConUS claim is pending.

While I called the tower chief earlier in the day to let them know of our plans, I think we still managed to provide some entertainment value in an otherwise calm evening.

From Approach (who questioned (on a beautiful VFR night):"It's VFR; you're filed IFR?" Response: "yeah, figured they wouldn't let us in any other way." "Yeah, OK; radar vectors.....)

To Tower: "cleared for the ILS Runway 14R, caution wake turbulence for departing heavy aircraft, and you've got a heavy aircraft behind you. Keep your speed up all the way in;what's your current speed?"

To Ground: less sarcastic than tower, and very cool and accomodating to taxi us over to a holding pad by a closed runway where we could power down, get out, take some shots, and depart - Signature got no $$$ from us this evening..

And to the captain of a 747 cargo plane who, when told to sequence behind a Cessna 172 for departure on runway 22L, responded in a very nonchalant fashion, after just one 'uh', and the slightest of pauses...

Not something to do every day, and certainly something we won't forget any time soon.

Leslie and Grant

HELL YEAH!!! Good going Leslie. I haven't looked yet, but I hope the picture is of y'all mooning the tower. I'm wicked happy right now!

HELL YEAH!!! Good going Leslie. I haven't looked yet, but I hope the picture is of y'all mooning the tower. I'm wicked happy right now!

You're not smiling, I'm sorry, I have to deny the claim.

NOT! :D :D

Thanks Leslie - you've claimed the one airport I was most concerned about!! Yeehaw!!

Yeah, I saw later that it looked more like a mug shot than a victory dance, but I was a pretty happy camper.

Was also glad we didn't have any more taxiing - we only took off with 5 hours of fuel on board, I was concerned we'd be declaring a fuel emergency if we had to go too much farther :D

you're right, though; it is pretty dang cool....

Not something to do every day, and certainly something we won't forget any time soon.t
Pretty cool.

So if you avoid going to $ignature you avloid the landing fee? I think Chicaguh has your picutre on Wanted posters about now.

BTW, this is a bad idea. We shouldn't be making all of those 747s wait and delay all of the passengers. :D

Pretty cool.

So if you avoid going to $ignature you avloid the landing fee? I think Chicaguh has your picutre on Wanted posters about now.
No, we expect the landing fee to be billed to the tail. It's less than $15, though. We should avoid the $36 security and $45? handling fee, though!
BTW, this is a bad idea. We shouldn't be making all of those 747s wait and delay all of the passengers. :D
That's why we talked with the tower before we came in to determine the best time. Worst case, we may have delayed someone's packages by 5 minutes. :yes::eek:

Can't avoid the landing fee; but it's actually only about $10 for a 172, per a call to Signature earlier in the day. We figure that will come through to the aircraft owner, and we'll tell the FBO to put it on our account, so they're not out any $$.

Don't know about the security fee yet (which I believe is $36), but if it comes through, we can use money that would have gone to Signature's handling fees (another $30), which I believe we have made a case for 'not on their ramp = no handling fee'.

You're right, though - it is a bad idea; all those boxes headed to Anchorage must have been pretty steamed waiting for little 'ol us to move on :D

Actually, they had us remain at or below 1800 on departure - we figured they were making room to have the 747 depart out above us, but we didn't see any other aircraft, although I think the tower contoller did let them know to watch for a cessna 172 on departure - part practical (we would have been pretty small compared to what he's used to seeing), part smarta$$, I'd say...

although I think the tower contoller did let them know to watch for a cessna 172 on departure - part practical (we would have been pretty small compared to what he's used to seeing), part smarta$$, I'd say...
Very cool, Leslie. Did the tower give the 74 the usual "caution wake turbulence, departing 172"?

-Skip

Didn't hear that call yesterday, just a 'watch for departing 172' note. Maybe that's part of the handling fee package..

By God, you are my heroes, you truly are!

ConUS claim is pending.

Leslie and Grant
Can you post the pics?

screw them if they give you attitude. seriously. this is still america. i got my ppl and ir both out of a class b, and they knew how to handle things just fine. you were professional, and that's all that you had to be.

We took some pictures, many of which were while we were taxiing, so they're somewhat blurry. But I'll check in with Grant (out on an angel flight right now, so I'm on dinner duty today) when he gets home about sending some of these up - haven't figured out how to get images off of his video camera, which may have some good material.

Way to go, Leslie. You are my hero! Small and secluded airports don't scare me, Big and Busy do. I am impressed.

Barb

Way to go, Leslie. You are my hero! Small and secluded airports don't scare me, Big and Busy do. I am impressed.

Barb

Big and busy are much easier to handl. Seriously. They tell you what to do, and you do it. That's it.

That is just way to cool! Good job, Leslie and Grant!!

Barb

Barb, Leslie and Grant are impressive (and they wear matching, customized polo shirts!).

Spike - thank you for the boost - I take that as high praise!!

You haven't seen us in our shirts AND crew hats - 'course, we only put on the full regalia when we're racing, psyching the competition and all. Although methinks we may need to change it up - haven't won a race yet....

Spike - thank you for the boost - I take that as high praise!!

You haven't seen us in our shirts AND crew hats - 'course, we only put on the full regalia when we're racing, psyching the competition and all. Although methinks we may need to change it up - haven't won a race yet....
But she got the spot-landing at the last air-meet!

No, we expect the landing fee to be billed to the tail. It's less than $15, though. We should avoid the $36 security and $45? handling fee, though!
That's why we talked with the tower before we came in to determine the best time. Worst case, we may have delayed someone's packages by 5 minutes. :yes::eek:

When Daley was making the State Police provide the security for all of the dangerous small planes because they kept Meigs open, they were supposed to search the plane and the pilot to make sure the pilot didn't have any weapons to allow him to take control of the aircraft. :dunno:

THAT's why there is a security fee.

When we flew the Young Eagles at Meigs they had a security guard there who wrote down what plane ya brought and what plane you took. I wonder if they made sure it was the same plane.

THAT's why there is a security fee.

Sweet!!!! Man Nick this is why the challenge is so cool. Now I'm shamed. I need to get out and get more claimed.

Missa

Back