Donate old desktops

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
My company has a handful of old(er) Dell Desktops (GTX260/70/80 series) that we need to get rid of. They are operational other than I have scavenged the RAM out of them. :)

Does anyone know of a good NPO that accepts these as a donation? We are a NPO as well, so we don't get a tax write-off, but would like to see them go to good use if possible.

chris, you should check with Matt, he might have some good ideas.

Are they adequate for DUATS briefings and AOPA weather maps, etc? Are donations to government entities, such as city owned FBOs, tax deductable? They might be useful at municipal airports for pilot weather info computers.

Consider donating them to a retirement home. You'd be amazed at how some of the elderly take to email with their families. The others just play solitaire. But they enjoy it, and it is a good use for the old 'puters.

-Skip

Are they adequate for DUATS briefings and AOPA weather maps, etc? Are donations to government entities, such as city owned FBOs, tax deductable? They might be useful at municipal airports for pilot weather info computers.
I don't think they'd be tax deductible, but that's not enough of a reason not to pursue it! Keep in mind, though, that the equipment is a small portion of the cost of keeping a computer that's exposed to the public going. There's the firewall and anti-virus stuff that needs to be kept up-to-date, the ability to restore to a backup, the training of the people to keep it running, and the cost of the actual ISP. Not trying to discourage him, however!:no:

Our FBO/airport is pretty well set with computers. One is running DTN and at least one other is set up for internet access.

The retirement home idea is a good one! I think I have a lead on handing them off to a local NPO that works with domestic violence victims or something like that, but if that doesn't work, I'll get in touch with my buddy who is the IT guy at a retirement home in Des Moines.

I don't think they'd be tax deductible, but that's not enough of a reason not to pursue it! Keep in mind, though, that the equipment is a small portion of the cost of keeping a computer that's exposed to the public going. There's the firewall and anti-virus stuff that needs to be kept up-to-date, the ability to restore to a backup, the training of the people to keep it running, and the cost of the actual ISP. Not trying to discourage him, however!:no:

For that use (or many others, for that matter) I might consider securely wiping the hard drives and putting Ubuntu on them. It's easy to use (all of my nieces/nephews/godchildren/step-grandchildren, ranging in age from 4 through 10, use it quite easily), is highly resistant to malware, is free, is very difficult to hose without the root password, and can be used to access any Web site that can be accessed using a non-IE browser (like Firefox).

One day the Internet went down at my FBO, so I left my Ubuntu laptop in the lounge with the EVDO fired up until their Internet was restored. No one had any difficulties that I'm aware of. (At least if anyone did, they didn't mention it to me.)

Also, although this feels like heresy to say, I'm not sure I'd worry much about backup if the machine were being used solely as a public Internet appliance. If the hard drive were to crash or someone did manage to hose the OS, so what? Pop in a new hard drive (or reformat, in the latter case) and reinstall Ubuntu. It takes like 15 - 30 minutes, depending on the machine's speed.

Of course, if it's used as anything more than than an Internet appliance, then backup would be needed; but there are scads of backup solutions for Linux, the software components for many of which are FOSS.

Finally, there's also a decent, free flight sim for Linux named FlightGear. Kimberly loves it. She "flies" for hours on end. It's pretty resource-intensive, though, so I'm not sure how well (if at all) it would run on those older machines. But it costs nothing to try.

-Rich

oh what an opening for the latest motivational poster I was just given... :smilewinkgrin: Rich - the "you" on the poster is NOT directed at you ...

Attachments

• poster2144015.jpg
    poster2144015.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 33
If you do still have these, I can talk to management at my work (an NPO that helps individuals with retardation live normal lives), and see if they'd like them.

oh what an opening for the latest motivational poster I was just given... :smilewinkgrin: Rich - the "you" on the poster is NOT directed at you ...

LOL, no worries. I use CentOS on my servers ("real" enough Linux), Windows XP for Web Development (until I can get Dreamweaver and Fireworks to work to my satisfaction in Linux, anyway) and for goofing off when I should be doing Web Development, and Ubuntu for most everything else.

Since the thread has started to creep, anyway...

I actually had a funny experience yesterday involving Ubuntu. I had Kimberly (8) tagging along with me yesterday (no school), and we stopped for lunch at a local pizza joint I've been trying to sell a Web site to for a few months. The owner asked me if I had my laptop handy so he could look at the mockup I built for him, and of course, I ran out to the car to get it.

Out of habit, I booted into Ubuntu (I usually use the Windows side to demonstrate sites to clients, but Ubuntu for everything else). He noticed the logo and asked, "What's that?"

"It's Ubuntu," I replied, "which is a version of Linux. I can boot into Windows if you prefer."

"Nah," he said, "I heard that Linux is really hard to use, but I can't figure out Windows, either. Just show me the site and let me see what it looks like." Kimberly heard and cocked an eyebrow quizzically from a few tables away where she was sitting, but said nothing.

I showed the client how to use the touchpad and let him click around the site for a few minutes while I joined Kimberly at the table to eat my pizza. Apparently the pizzamaker accidentally minimized the browser, and Kimberly noticed before I did and walked over to him to help him. She restored the window, and then started showing him the various effects (I'd shown them to her while I was coding the mockup).

"Look! I really like this one," she said, and proceeded to click a thumb of a stock photo of a pizza, which opened into the greybox that Jesse turned me on to a week of so ago for another site. "It makes your pizza look really yummy!" Then she pointed to the page title bar (which said something like "Pizza Delivery" and the town and ZIP code) and said, "These words will help Google find you better, too, so people can call you to buy pizza and stuff to eat."

I was going to stop her, but the pizzamaker -- a big, hulking guy with a gruff persona -- seemed fascinated. "You're pretty good at this stuff," he finally said.

"Thank you," she replied, "you wanna play a game?" The pizzamaker nodded, and she opened up SuperTux (a Super Mario-type game) and showed him how to play.

I decided to keep my mouth shut. Heck, I'd been working on this prospect for months without closing the deal. How much worse could Kim do? The two of them sat there playing SuperTux for about 20 or 30 minutes, his staff periodically glancing over and chuckling at the boss taking instructions from this little kid until, finally, he had to answer a phone call. I motioned to Kimberly that we had to go, and she shut down the laptop and put it in the case.

When he was done with his call, the client walked over to me and said he was sold on the site idea. We closed the deal and set a timetable. Kimberly smiled and politely shook the pizzaiolo's hand, then took my hand in hers as we walked out of the store.

As soon as we were outside, she looked up at me, wagged her finger, and said, "You owe me, buster."

-Rich

Last edited:
LOL, no worries. I use CentOS on my servers ("real" enough Linux), Windows XP for Web Development (until I can get Dreamweaver and Fireworks to work to my satisfaction in Linux, anyway) and for goofing off when I should be doing Web Development, and Ubuntu for most everything else.

Since the thread has started to creep, anyway...

I actually had a funny experience yesterday involving Ubuntu. I had Kimberly (8) tagging along with me yesterday (no school), and we stopped for lunch at a local pizza joint I've been trying to sell a Web site to for a few months. The owner asked me if I had my laptop handy so he could look at the mockup I built for him, and of course, I ran out to the car to get it.

Out of habit, I booted into Ubuntu (I usually use the Windows side to demonstrate sites to clients, but Ubuntu for everything else). He noticed the logo and asked, "What's that?"

"It's Ubuntu," I replied, "which is a version of Linux. I can boot into Windows if you prefer."

"Nah," he said, "I heard that Linux is really hard to use, but I can't figure out Windows, either. Just show me the site and let me see what it looks like." Kimberly heard and cocked an eyebrow quizzically from a few tables away where she was sitting, but said nothing.

I showed the client how to use the touchpad and let him click around the site for a few minutes while I joined Kimberly at the table to eat my pizza. Apparently the pizzamaker accidentally minimized the browser, and Kimberly noticed before I did and walked over to him to help him. She restored the window, and then started showing him the various effects (I'd shown them to her while I was coding the mockup).

"Look! I really like this one," she said, and proceeded to click a thumb of a stock photo of a pizza, which opened into the greybox that Jesse turned me on to a week of so ago for another site. "It makes your pizza look really yummy!" Then she pointed to the page title bar (which said something like "Pizza Delivery" and the town and ZIP code) and said, "These words will help Google find you better, too, so people can call you to buy pizza and stuff to eat."

I was going to stop her, but the pizzamaker -- a big, hulking guy with a gruff persona -- seemed fascinated. "You're pretty good at this stuff," he finally said.

"Thank you," she replied, "you wanna play a game?" The pizzamaker nodded, and she opened up SuperTux (a Super Mario-type game) and showed him how to play.

I decided to keep my mouth shut. Heck, I'd been working on this prospect for months without closing the deal. How much worse could Kim do? The two of them sat there playing SuperTux for about 20 or 30 minutes, his staff periodically glancing over and chuckling at the boss taking instructions from this little kid until, finally, he had to answer a phone call. I motioned to Kimberly that we had to go, and she shut down the laptop and put it in the case.

When he was done with his call, the client walked over to me and said he was sold on the site idea. We closed the deal and set a timetable. Kimberly smiled and politely shook the pizzaiolo's hand, then took my hand in hers as we walked out of the store.

As soon as we were outside, she looked up at me, wagged her finger, and said, "You owe me, buster."

-Rich

LMAO!! That's priceless!!!

My company has a handful of old(er) Dell Desktops (GTX260/70/80 series) that we need to get rid of. They are operational other than I have scavenged the RAM out of them. :)

Does anyone know of a good NPO that accepts these as a donation? We are a NPO as well, so we don't get a tax write-off, but would like to see them go to good use if possible.

The battered women's shelter in Ames would be worth talking to...

Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support
P.O. Box 1965
Ames IA 50010
Business #: 515-232-5418

Trapper John

Yes. But RAM is relatively cheap compared to the cost of buying a whole new system.
But that would require a knowledge of the proper RAM to buy as well as how to install it which may seem simple to you, but not to your potential recipients.

Yes. But RAM is relatively cheap compared to the cost of buying a whole new system.
RAM for current computers generally is. RAM for older computers is less available and therefore more expensive. It depends, of course, on the age of the computers.

On a related note. I have an old desktop that I'll soon be giving to a local "recycler". Is there an easy and effective way to truly wipe the hard drive clean?

Agreed! Especially the ending! Great story, Rich. How much of a commission are you going to pay her??

Actually, she told me she wants a kitten to replace the cat we had who ran away. Fair enough, I say. Maybe I'll run down to the animal shelter with both kids the next time they come to visit, and rescue an abandoned kitten. I think they'd like that better than going to a pet store.

-Rich

absolutely priceless!!! :rofl:

I have to be honest, the only Linux distro I end up in is Redhat. Everything else is solaris, hp/ux, aix, et al ... sometimes all in the same day in different windows on the same desktop...

But that would require a knowledge of the proper RAM to buy as well as how to install it which may seem simple to you, but not to your potential recipients.

True, but most of the NPO offices that I know of have someone they go to for computer troubleshooting already. The NPO that my sister-in-law works for gets internet access and tech support for free from a local business.

If they end up going to a local NPO, I would probably give them a "let me know when you want to put RAM in them, and I will put it in for you." It's only 4-5 desktop towers.

Actually, she told me she wants a kitten to replace the cat we had who ran away. Fair enough, I say. Maybe I'll run down to the animal shelter with both kids the next time they come to visit, and rescue an abandoned kitten. I think they'd like that better than going to a pet store.

-Rich

D* straight. Pet Stores that sell pets are evil outlets for puppy mills. Stay away!

There's no guarantee that a rescued pet is not from a mill, but at least you aren't giving the scum any more money.

On a related note. I have an old desktop that I'll soon be giving to a local "recycler". Is there an easy and effective way to truly wipe the hard drive clean?
And if you're not recycling the machine or drive, I'd use a hammer. Like memory, harddrives have become pretty cheap.

...SNIP...."Thank you," she replied, "you wanna play a game?" The pizzamaker nodded, and she opened up SuperTux (a Super Mario-type game) and showed him how to play.
Shades of WarGames.

SHUDDER!!!! [glance to the sky for incoming ICBMs.]

And if you're not recycling the machine or drive, I'd use a hammer. Like memory, harddrives have become pretty cheap.

And if you're gonna bust it up, keep the magnets from inside the hard drive. They're incredibly strong, and are possibly the most valuable raw material in the computer.

They make great toys. :D

The Linux System Rescue CD has a disk wiper on the menu. To use it you just burn a data cd from the image* and boot the PC with it in drive:
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

* The problem with that is must Windows CD burning program hide the option to burn an image.

Last edited:
My company's policy on disc drives is simple - they don't leave the company. Any machine that get's recycled does so without a drive. I don't think they trust any tool for wiping a drive. But, paranoia are us. :D

My company's policy on disc drives is simple - they don't leave the company. Any machine that get's recycled does so without a drive. I don't think they trust any tool for wiping a drive. But, paranoia are us. :D

I think some entities have become a bit too paranoid about hard drive data. Stefan once told me that even one pass of pseudorandom data will make the data on a hard drive irrecoverable by almost all software-based methods, and three passes will render it irrecoverable by any software-based method.

Peter Guttman believes that a complex, 35-pass method is necessary to prevent recovery by electron microscopy, but I'm not aware of any real-world case where data actually has been recovered from a drive that was overwritten seven times per the old DOD standard. I think for most users, the Guttman method is overkill. I typically use the 7-pass DOD standard unless the client requests (and pays for) the more time-consuming Guttman procedure.

-Rich

I think some entities have become a bit too paranoid about hard drive data.
Ding..Ding..Ding

Some companies have become too paranoid about MANY tech/security things. Too many folks with jobs that shouldn't exist trying to make themselves look valuable---set policies that they never have to deal with--while damaging the productivity of the entire company (which costs more than the very thing they were probably trying to protect)

End rant.

it is "interesting" how selectively paranoid companies are about security and privacy...sort of like checking all the windows are closed and locked every
10 minutes while the front door is wide open. (>-{

:rolleyes:Why is it that everytime I see this topic, a vision of tons of formica-covered slabs comes to mind?

Ding..Ding..Ding

Some companies have become too paranoid about MANY tech/security things. Too many folks with jobs that shouldn't exist trying to make themselves look valuable---set policies that they never have to deal with--while damaging the productivity of the entire company (which costs more than the very thing they were probably trying to protect)

End rant.

I've heard how it goes is .....a big boss loses a laptop with data that had no need or business being there, so a new policy is put in place for ALL OF YOU OTHERS who didn't do such a dumb thing BETTER NOT EXPOSE OUR DATA!!!!!!! Here's the new policy from one of the many departments of productivity prevention.

Back