Donate aerial photo for charity?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
There is a local 2 y/o boy that has been diagnosed with cancer. Some folks are getting together to try to raise money for the family. Some people are donating stuff for a silent auction or raffle.

I thought I would help out by offering something airplane related. I'm not Comm/CFI rated, and since I fly Experimental (gasp), I don't think I can offer an airplane ride as part of the raffle.

Could I legally offer "aerial photos of your house/property" as part of the raffle?

...I don't think I can offer an airplane ride as part of the raffle....
sure you can, just land at the same place you depart from, and stay within 25NM of the departure point.

Since nobody is paying to go along in the plane, or paying the pilot for the picture, the OP can fly and land anywhere it is otherwise legal to do so. Since there is no compensation to the pilot involved (other than a possible charitable tax deduction which the Chief Counsel says is not "compensation"), it's just another personal flight, and no special rules apply. Just don't let the winner ride along to take the picture.

sure you can, just land at the same place you depart from, and stay within 25NM of the departure point.
For raffling off a ride, the charitable airlift rules would apply, and that means no Experimental aircraft -- see 91.146(b)(5).

For raffling off a ride, the charitable airlift rules would apply, and that means no Experimental aircraft -- see 91.146(b)(5).

That's what I thought, too.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll look into how much money could be raised from an aerial photo donation.

point taken. I forgot about that, it's the reason EAA is fighting this thing about fuel reimbursements for young eagle flights in experimentals.

Back