Donald Trump signed an exec order to fix Pilot shortage in the Air Force

When were you at CBM Tim? When I was there 77-81 we'd occasionally get B52s when Blytheville dispersed their bombers,and even the E4 on occasions. They'd all go to the tree and that area was secured tight.

'twas my first base as a jet engine mechanic. I was there from 83 - 85.

I don't remember. I was young and looking for chicks. ;)

Well I was too. Guess being upstairs (tower) I was a little more aware of the dispersed Buffs. But man, when they left on MITO you knew they were there, or was...

My shop was way down by the main gate. I don't remember any B-52s but that doesn't mean that they weren't there.

One evening around 6-7 local flying was done. All of sudden here comes an E4, landed 31C and rolled right into the alert area on the NW end of the runway. Rumor was USAF Chief of Staff onboard. Stayed there for an hour or two and then launched back out.

Only recall seeing dispersed Buffs a few times, and they too weren't there long.

This morning's Air Force Association daily email also said the AF has no plans to forcibly recall pilots to active duty.

http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchiv...n-Alert-Vietnam-Vet-Receives-Medal-of-Honor.aspx

White House Confuses Pilots, USAF with Friday Executive Order
The Air Force says it has no plans to forcibly recall pilots into Active Duty, but a late Friday executive order from President Donald Trump and ensuing coverage had pilots calling the service, seeking clarification. What Trump’s order actually did was increase the number of retirees allowed to serve in Active Duty, previously capped by provisions of Title 10 regarding when, how many, and for how long retirees are allowed to serve in Active Duty. Adding to the confusion is the service’s announcement earlier this month that it would be accepting applications from retired pilots to return to staff positions, a measure it’s taking in response to a critical pilot shortage. That initiative, until Friday, capped the amount of pilots the Air Force would accept at 25. That cap no longer exists. Read the full story from Brian Everstine and Gideon Grudo.

The USAF will never force guys out of retirement. What will happen is much easier and cheaper: The USAF is going to start 'stop loss' to prevent guys from leaving a the end of their commitments. This will happen in 2018.

You heard it here first.

History of stop loss in the Air Force side shows it as a rather ineffective policy, and one that immediately galvanizes the stampede after its historically short implementation regimes expire. I'm not saying they won't do it, but they know it would be a terribly myopic thing to do in light of the continued hiring binge at mainline. Small stick into an already ****ed off hornet hive.

Last edited:
Can’t say pulling guys in from the IRR (involuntarily) would go over much better. To be honest, either of these options sounds exactly like something the Air Force would do. Hopefully, for everyone’s sake, they’ll have plenty of volunteers and won’t need to attempt either.

I'm betting the whole B-52 story is a decoy for whatever the real plan is!

Whatever the real plan is, the bone head and chief will tweet it to the world sometime in the middle of the morning. I for one hope and pray that there is no plan, but that is pretty naive to think of an America that isn't going to war some place.

i know it must be frustrating for people on the street looking in, but as someone who had the distinct displeasure of being nonvoled into a nuclear qualification in that bomber in the not too distant past, i can assure you all, as much as I could as a SGOTI anyways, that this is more symbolism and unfettered stream of consciousness coming in from the COIC. ive served under three of them, and this one has this particular MO. i feel for the joint chiefs, having to spin everything thats flippantly thrown out there while having to appear in unison with a COIC who takes liberties with the enter key on the "twitter machine". i certainly dont want their job, im happy down here in trainer land watching the clownshow unfold. salute sharply and three squares sir lol.

Furthermore, to those who know a thing or two about the modern realities of the nuclear triad, this strikes even more of a nothing burger. i wont qualify my answer beyond that for the sake of OPSEC. but yes, if your hunch is one to say this is a flippantly spun stream of conciousness that got thrown out there without vetting, youre getting warmer not colder. reality is stranger than fiction these days

I would likely expect this to extend to other specialties besides pilots. Especially because the order allows the military to call back retirees of all specialties. The military is currently increasing its manning.

I would also expect the service obligation to increase for pilots. Its funny- I am in the Army, and when I asked about switching over from Officer to Warrant Officer I was told I had been in too long (only been an Officer/in the Army for four years).

I thought for sure they would jump at the opportunity to recruit another pilot.

I think this order is to allow the executive branch and the military "more options". In case a large war WAS started (like North Korea), recalling the retirees wouldn't seem like a terrible option. Unless that happens (and we will have bigger problems anyway) I don't see this being much of an issue.

Back