Domain redirect

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Who's a good service to go through just to take care of the ICANN redirection?

I had used register.com just because...well....I don't know why, it was a long time ago. But one of my domains needs to be renewed, and they want 46/year just to redirect. (I host in house) Anyone cheaper? Service issues?

I had used register.com just because...well....I don't know why, it was a long time ago. But one of my domains needs to be renewed, and they want 46/year just to redirect. (I host in house) Anyone cheaper? Service issues?

I can redirect my cans. Especially from pilots who talk on their cell phone on short final.

I'm not starting new. One of the domains is about to expire and I thought $46/year was a bit much. Especially since it's for the non-profit which gets like no money.

I'm not starting new. One of the domains is about to expire and I thought $46/year was a bit much. Especially since it's for the non-profit which gets like no money.

Sure. They're pretty easy to transfer. I'd be happy to help if you need any. My problem is that I have a dozen domains and don't want to work through all of them.

I use GoDaddy. I haven't had any problems....but I'm not sure if I'd choose them if I were starting new. I just haven't had reason enough to go to all of the trouble of moving them to another registrar.

Likewise (with respect to hosting that serves as a self-managed redirect. My main host is not at GoDaddy, but I use them a reliable redirect to the real host).

I recently switched over to GoDaddy. Pretty painless and competitive prices.

If you like owning the domain, avoid godaddy. They will assume ownership. I use monicker.com, and they are cheap and reliable, and they allow you to retain ownership.

I have a number of domains registered with Dynadot and I am very satisfied with their offering. Their prices vary depending on the TLD but are under $10.

If you like owning the domain, avoid godaddy. They will assume ownership. I use monicker.com, and they are cheap and reliable, and they allow you to retain ownership.

Do you have a source for either of those statements?

Last edited:
Yes.
http://tinyurl.com/3lfex79
http://tinyurl.com/3f9fswv
http://tinyurl.com/4xnrrc8

There are two basic accusations, both verifiable.

1. When searching for a domain name, they will grab ownership and resell it if enough people search for the same name.
2. They do not respect ICANN's redemption process, and instead will squat on an expired domain if it is popular enough.

First, it wasn't necessary to throw a LMGTFY at this. You threw out some very specific accusations against GoDaddy and a *very* specific statement about Monicker's policies. I specifically went to look at Monicker thinking that if it were true, surely they would be boasting about it on their website. They weren't. I couldn't find anything regarding what you were saying, so I asked. I think that, at this point, you should be aware of my ability to research technical topics. If I had found something, I wouldn't have asked.

Second, I could probably google "Best Buy stole my unborn baby" and it would likely turn up hits by nutcases convinced that it was true. Just because some jackass on the internet accuses some big company of something, it doesn't make it true. I looked through the first page of results for the first link you posted and saw a lot of accusations. Hell, I really do believe most them...but just because they are on google, that doesn't mean that they are "verifiable".

First, it wasn't necessary to throw a LMGTFY at this. You threw out some very specific accusations against GoDaddy and a *very* specific statement about Monicker's policies. I specifically went to look at Monicker thinking that if it were true, surely they would be boasting about it on their website. They weren't. I couldn't find anything regarding what you were saying, so I asked. I think that, at this point, you should be aware of my ability to research technical topics. If I had found something, I wouldn't have asked.

Second, I could probably google "Best Buy stole my unborn baby" and it would likely turn up hits by nutcases convinced that it was true. Just because some jackass on the internet accuses some big company of something, it doesn't make it true. I looked through the first page of results for the first link you posted and saw a lot of accusations. Hell, I really do believe most them...but just because they are on google, that doesn't mean that they are "verifiable".

All true.

Real references:
ICANN Redemption Policy http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/redemption-proposal-14feb02.htm

Any "delete" of a domain name (whether inside or outside of any applicable grace period) will result in a 30-day Deleted Name Redemption Grace Period. This grace period will allow the domain name registrant, registrar, and/or registry time to detect and correct any mistaken deletions.

GoDaddy Policy http://help.godaddy.com/article/608

• On the 25th day after expiration, we put your domain name up for auction with a domain name industry auction service. You can manually renew your domain name, subject to any applicable renewal and redemption fees.

Monicker Policy http://www.moniker.com/help/delete-autorenew-policy.jsp
Currently, the Registry Operators provide an RGP for 30 days from the date of deletion.

So - GoDaddy's policy appears to differ from their actions, according to the myriad of posts on the internet about losing domains during the redemption period. You won't find any about Moniker.com.

But, even if they followed their own policy, it still doesn't adhere to ICANN policy of 30 days.

I've got some domains that I've let expire with GoDaddy and I always get notices from them and just today I got a card telling me the expiration period is just about up. I've never had a problem with them and have done searches there where I've come back days later and the name was still available.

Anyone with a Web server running their own registered nameservers should be able to stick an entry in their DNS for you, if all you need is to point the domain to your static IP address. Takes about a minute.

But frankly, for $46.00/year, I would keep it as it is or move it to another reputable service, unless you're really poverty-stricken.

For what it's worth, I've never had any problems whatsoever with Go-Daddy, and I have several dozen domains registered with them. Their customer service has been phenomenal on the few occasions I've actually had to call them.

-Rich

The GoDaddy thing has been discussed on some very large tech websites and was a pretty big deal a few years ago. Generally, they're an awful company.

I'm using a registrar that stopped being a registrar, kinda... they don't accept new domains.

I hear from a number of folks that hover.com is excellent. They're a division of Tucows which has been around (and sane/good) forever... plus it's an aviation name! What's not to love? ;)

Sometimes the very best is just to find a local company with real humans that answer the phone that's ICANN certified, as long as they have enough geographically diverse nameservers to handle fiber cuts that whack large areas... but even that's pretty rare anymore.

I haven't paid more than $12 for a domain, since the bad old days of Network Solutions having a 100% monopoly on the .com TLD. I definitely think the OP should find a different registrar.

Back