Domain Name Registrar

Godaddy.

And if you want cheap, just renew it one month in advance. The renewal rate with an easily found on google coupon is typically $8. The normal rate is not terrible, but like $15.

Fwiw I use Amazon Web Services for anything important these days, mostly because I can protect my domains with MFA.

Fwiw I use Amazon Web Services for anything important these days, mostly because I can protect my domains with MFA.

OK, I'll bite - what's MFA? I currently use Sitelutions for registrar and name servers.

OK, I'll bite - what's MFA? I currently use Sitelutions for registrar and name servers.

Multi factor authentication. You need access to my cell phone plus my username and password for AWS to access my AWS account.

I am switching customers to Google compute. We should compare notes sometime.

Am I the only one who still uses netsol?

I am switching customers to Google compute. We should compare notes sometime.

Am I the only one who still uses netsol?

We still have a few thousand domains with them mostly because it'd be a PITA to move plus the pricing is pretty nice at that volume.

I'm a little bit of an Amazon fanboy:

Oh snap. The customer I moved is a merchant gateway. They have gapps but ec2 is pretty nice :)

I think the google cloud stuff is playing catchup. Their november release seems to have feature parity with ec2, or at least close.

I think the google cloud stuff is playing catchup. Their november release seems to have feature parity with ec2, or at least close.
EC2 is easy, you can build your own with rental boxes and OpenStack today if you like, so it's trivial for Google to do. Do Google have a Dynamo though? That was supposed to be the hard part that nobody else could reproduce.

EC2 is easy, you can build your own with rental boxes and OpenStack today if you like, so it's trivial for Google to do. Do Google have a Dynamo though? That was supposed to be the hard part that nobody else could reproduce.
The big data object db? In theory yes.
I don't need it at this point.

The devil is in the details...and when it comes to the tools Amazon gives you and how well they integrate I've yet to see that in any other cloud. IAM, Cloud Trail, and how serious they take compliance goes a LONG ways in the corporate environment.

AWS just launched their new MySQL compliant engine, that is pretty damn impressive. Won't be seeing that anywhere else.

Also the launch of KMS is a big deal for those of us that are trying to encrypt the hell out of everything we put in the cloud.

I'll look at moving away from AWS the day I see their competitors out innovate them. So far everyone is still just trying to play catchup while Amazon releases a constant stream of well engineered **** that just works. I'd hate to be the guy tasked with taking them out.

Last edited:
AWS just launched their new MySQL compliant engine, that is pretty damn impressive. Won't be seeing that anywhere else.

Seriously, dude? Seriously?!
http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/databases

It reminds me a story by one guy who've been to a USENIX Tech some time in the 80s. He followed 2 IBM guys out of a session and one of those asked the other if he's heard of Cray 1. The other said no, and asked if he thought it was faster than 3033. The first guy said he doubted it.

Look, even having Werner Vogels and a million monkeys does not mean you're better at everything than everyone else. That is because Vogels only has 1 brain, no matter how brilliant.

Seriously, dude? Seriously?!
http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/databases

It reminds me a story by one guy who've been to a USENIX Tech some time in the 80s. He followed 2 IBM guys out of a session and one of those asked the other if he's heard of Cray 1. The other said no, and asked if he thought it was faster than 3033. The first guy said he doubted it.

Look, even having Werner Vogels and a million monkeys does not mean you're better at everything than everyone else. That is because Vogels only has 1 brain, no matter how brilliant.

Seriously dude? Seriously? You might want to look at what I wrote. They launched a NEW engine written to take advantage of their cloud technology that IS MySQL compliant. They've had RDS with MySQL since 2009.

That Rackspace solution is a MySQL engine. Not a Rackspace written custom engine designed to take advantage of their cloud technology while maintaining MySQL compliance.

http://aws.amazon.com/rds/aurora/

Rackspace's Cloud MySQL solution isn't even close to that as far as availability is concerned. Traditional MySQL replication lag is greatly reduced since with Aurora they're not using the binary logs and replaying transactions like MySQL traditionally does.

Last edited:
And meanwhile PostgreSQL continues to kick MySQL's ass for real database work. ;)

And meanwhile PostgreSQL continues to kick MySQL's ass for real database work. ;)

Gap is really closing on that. I came awful close to moving to PostgreSQL a few years back. Ultimately, right before we went into production, I looked over the MySQL 5.6 feature-set and decided that everything I was going to move to PostgreSQL for was taken care of in MySQL 5.6. So we quickly switched from PostgreSQL to MySQL about a week before we went into production and haven't looked back.

Ultimately I made the decision for a few reasons. One of the big ones is that we had no operational experience running PostgreSQL whereas all of our IT staff had been managing large MySQL instances for a solid 10 years each.

The second was because 5.6 took care of quite a few things.

Now, IF, you do use AWS the picture is changing even more with AWS's release of their own MySQL engine. It really takes advantage of their technology to allow one to create replica sets on the fly without much of any delay along with way better availability.

Moved all of my personal domains to namecheap except for one that is still on Gandi. And namecheap does support MFA.

Seriously dude? Seriously? You might want to look at what I wrote. They launched a NEW engine written to take advantage of their cloud technology that IS MySQL compliant. They've had RDS with MySQL since 2009.

That Rackspace solution is a MySQL engine. Not a Rackspace written custom engine designed to take advantage of their cloud technology while maintaining MySQL compliance.

http://aws.amazon.com/rds/aurora/

Rackspace's Cloud MySQL solution isn't even close to that as far as availability is concerned. Traditional MySQL replication lag is greatly reduced since with Aurora they're not using the binary logs and replaying transactions like MySQL traditionally does.

Not to mention RackSpace's cloud offering is pathetic at best anyway. Most of the support requirements I've tried to get into their agreements have been balked at, despite being industry standard through most of my other contract negotiations.

Unfortunately, we have some legal issues that keep us away from AWS by and large (mostly related to indemnification requirements), but our limited experience with RackSpace keeps me from them most often (and as a result, most of our dev and strategy teams have no choice but to find other providers as well).

Back