Dolly take off

ausrere

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa
I've wondered how float planes without retractable wheels manage to get to and from maintenance hangars (especially if the one they need isn't near water) .. does this happen very often? :dunno:

Dolly Take off

Last edited:
I've seen several videos of them taking off from dollys/trailers and landing on wet grass.

I bet it's very common in AK at the appropriate times of the year.

Several years ago a (new) WACO biplane on straight floats was displayed at Sun 'n Fun. It arrived on and departed from the grass strip using only the keel strips as skids. They uses a dolly to move it to and from the static display area only.

ausrere said:
I've wondered how float planes without retractable wheels manage to get to and from maintenance hangars (especially if the one they need isn't near water) .. does this happen very often? :dunno:

Dolly Take off

they fly on to wet grass, and then get loaded onto a trailor, and hauled to the maintinance hangar. then when maintenance is completed they are flown off the trailor. by towing the trailor to the runway and the aircraft flys off the trailor.

NC19143 said:
they fly on to wet grass, and then get loaded onto a trailor, and hauled to the maintinance hangar. then when maintenance is completed they are flown off the trailor. by towing the trailor to the runway and the aircraft flys off the trailor.

Pretty cool. One of those "Well THATS how they do it moments". :D

Back