Doing a Flight Review

PHXAvi8tor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PHXAvi8tor
As a brand-new CFI, I have to conduct my first flight review of a private pilot later this morning.

He hasn't flown in a while, so it will be interesting and fun to help him come back up to speed.

The heaviest thing weighing on me, as a CFI, is to make sure he is safe to carry friends, loved ones, acquaintances, and that they all can enjoy many future flights together.

Wondering what kind of flight review stories other pilots and CFIs have had that make interesting forum talk?

I'm not a CFI, but I've found what sticks with me the best is questions an instructor asks that I must think through; rather, than someone that just regurgitates information. Of course, there are things that are rote memory like airspeed numbers and green areas on gauges. Everyone is a bit different, but if an instructor asks a question; then, asks another to guide me if I'm headed the wrong way, it's much more beneficial than just him reciting an answer.

If I was off a bit on a maneuver-say a 45 degree turn, him/or her saying things like what would happen if you lifted the nose three degrees before beginning the turn? Before you push that button on the Garmin 430, tell me what will happen when you push it. What do you want to happen (if it's not already clear.) Is there another way to do that a bit faster (more efficiently, etc.)

Anyway, those are very helpful to me rather than the instructor just telling me things or showing me stuff. In my plane, I want to know exactly what will happen before I push something on the Garmin; hate it when someone hunts and pecks and eventually says, O.K., I finally got it with an air of pride.

Best,

Dave

The best guidance you can find on conducting a flight review is AC 61-98A, which you can find here. Note in particular Chapter 1 on flight reviews, the instructor checklist for preparing for a flight review in Appendix 1, and the flight review procedures and maneuvers in Appendix 2.

Dave hit some good ones. Knowing the basics of the airplane is just plain dang necessary; knowing its V speeds for climbing, upper and lower limits, Va and effects on Va at lower weight.

Others are good control in slow flight, stall recognition before the break, maintaining altitude (particularly in your Class B ) and above all... proper procedures. I'd take him through the transition and see how he handles instructions, clear & efficient read-backs, traffic monitoring on the outside (not the TIS) and good preflight preparation. He should know where to find information in the AFM and interpret it for climb, cruise and runway performance. He should be able to explain weight and balance limitations within a couple sentences and know where to find those limits.

Some may think it's overboard but I don't think it would be a bad idea to ask ahead of time for this: Have that pilot fill out a short XC log for about a hundred miles and five checkpoints. Ask for W&B for specific load data provided and runway performance. Ask him to be prepared to discuss any information in the AFM within any given section and his XC plan. It's important everywhere but with your high heat high elevations surrounding you, density altitude becomes even more critical. His review of performance data should reflect this. The whole purpose of this would be to get his head in the AFM so he's reviewing it for HIS benefit.

Infrequent renters are going to be the most rusty. It may take more than than required hour on the ground and another in flight. I think most CFI's are reluctant to make a demand for further time or possibly a follow-up flight. But, your own integrity may demand it as well as insuring a reviewed pilot is going to be safe after you put your name in his log. In his log and your record, record absolutely every detail covered. Once, there was some bozo who ran out of fuel just a month after his flight review. He tried to lay it on the CFI but the CFI had it documented. Turned out the word "fuel" was within flight planning procedures in both pilot log and CFI report. That took the CFI out of the equation regarding any enforcement actions. Write up a report for your own permanent record as well as that for the school if you don't have a formal report now. Have that pilot sign it then keep it until God says otherwise.

Oh, one last thing... make sure he doesn't call a female controller "Sir" at DVT. That was an exchange I shalt not forget. I'm convinced she has a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher in that tower for the next time! :D

Oh, one last thing... make sure he doesn't call a female controller "Sir" at DVT. That was an exchange I shalt not forget. I'm convinced she has a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher in that tower for the next time! :D

on the flip side of that, i was doing instrument approaches into Des Moines last week and the controller said something like "airliner 1100 contact minneapolis center 134.00, have a good night sir" and a very female voice comes back and says "134.00 airliner 1100"

controller sheepishly replies "sorry..."

And I like the way you are thinking Ben along the lines of making sure they arent going to kill passengers. Use the AC ron described but customize each review to the student. For example Im doing a flight review for Jesse next month. We are going to review spins and review pilotage and DR navigation. Why? because thats the stuff that he doesnt do much. Of course there will also be a sampling of many other manuevers but those will be the emphasis areas. Ground subjects will probably not include class B procedures because he knows that stuff. We probably will work on uncontrolled airport ops though since almost all of his flights originate from an airport with a control tower.

Knowing your student and his background is key. Dont let them bully you into doing the minimums. Beleive me, rusty old pilots seek out young CFIs because they think they can push them around. Push back.

Dont let them bully you into doing the minimums. Beleive me, rusty old pilots seek out young CFIs because they think they can push them around. Push back.

****. I was thinking I'd be able to push you into the minimums....

Thanks for all the good thoughts.

Of course, I didn't endorse this guy today. He needs a little work, but he understands why.

Thanks, Cap'nRon for the reminder to use 61-98. I have the whole thing already printed out in my CFI binder, and it is tabbed and bookmarked thoroughly. I will go back through it.

I spent five hours with the pilot today, going over every possible detail of the Pilots Information Manual for the plane he intends to fly; covering all the key parts of Part 91. (Only billed for half of that total time because I was 20 minutes late, and he was miffed at that. Reason for lateness: I had landing-gear probs with previous student at 6:30 a.m. flight, and that delayed my arrival due to a cautionary "low approach" past the tower to confirm gear down and locked as indicated.)

The client for the flight review (second student for whom I was late) had heck of a time with radio procedures, cockpit management (BOTH!!!!! hands left the throttles at Vr to fiddle with a door latch!! Classic.), and -- as always -- landings.

So, we'll hit the radios, cockpit management and landings on the second flight. I would like to endorse him, but each time I think of how he flew today, I also worry about what might happen if he didn't manage to land the plane properly (and if he had passengers).

So, we'll do some more work and see how he does on the next flight.

That was my Saturday, for you. So far, to date, since passing the checkride 10 days ago: 10 hours dual-given.

Last edited:
Back