Dogs and airplanes don't mix

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
After riding around for quite a few years in noisy Cessnas and Pipers, my hearing has taken a beating. The Piper 180 seemed to have the quietest cabin, so (IMHO) it could be the exception to the noisy airplane rule.
I see ads for doggie ear protectors. Dogs have very sensitive hearing.
Unless the aircraft has a quiet cabin (like that 180), I don't think that dogs should be riding around in noisy piston aircraft.
Don't get me wrong. I like dogs. It just seems cruel to put them in such a loud environment. Thoughts?
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

I think that if you put a dog through several thousand hours of exposure, it could be a problem, but given the natural life span of a dog, it's not likely to go that far. For us, the enjoyment our dogs have appeared to get from the trips they make with us far outweighs the minimal risk we perceive of premature deafness. If you're worried, use Mutt Muffs.

I don't think dogs have a lower dB-to-pain (or damage) threshold than we do or anything like that... their hearing is more sensitive in the same way their sense of smell is more sensitive: The range is broader and more of the brain (percentage-wise) is dedicated to processing sensory input.
They can hear softer sounds than we can, and frequencies well outside of the normal human range, and can more easily pick out one sound among many, just as they can zero in with their noses... but they can handle loud noises.
Case in point: ever been in a room with a dog that is barking so loudly you feel like covering your ears?
Think he'd do that if it hurt him?;)

That being said, though, it's only fair to try to protect their ears if you can... prolonged exposure is probably just as bad for them as it is for us.

Our dog is 15 years old. My wife and I decided because of her age that we would not take her in the plane. When she dies our next dog will be introduced to flying at an early age. I think that Mutt Muffs should help with the noise.

I use mutt muffs with my Sheltie, to protect his hearing and it's entertaining for the pax because they look so ridiculous!

We use mutt-muffs on our little dog. Without them he goes wacko and gets pretty nervous, once they are on he either lays down in the back seat or on my wife's lap and goes to sleep.

AND yes, he does look like a dork with them on ( I wonder if he thinks the same about me!:yes:).

I am glad this post was posted I am going to take my dog on her first flight this Sunday so I am going to order a set tonight. When I was looking them up I found this video and it made me laugh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri1oSATI3oM

I have a English springer spaniel mid size 30-35 lbs any idea what size to get.

After riding around for quite a few years in noisy Cessnas and Pipers, my hearing has taken a beating. The Piper 180 seemed to have the quietest cabin, so (IMHO) it could be the exception to the noisy airplane rule.
I see ads for doggie ear protectors. Dogs have very sensitive hearing.
Unless the aircraft has a quiet cabin (like that 180), I don't think that dogs should be riding around in noisy piston aircraft.
Don't get me wrong. I like dogs. It just seems cruel to put them in such a loud environment. Thoughts?
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

I have experience with one dog in the plane, and it was in my Travel Air which was a quiet plane. The first time we took Sadie in my plane, I was worried about getting her in and how she would act..no worries. As soon as I cracked the door open, she jumped up on the wing, squeezed past me, bounded over the seats onto the hat shelf where she would ride pleased as punch (I know, I know, not safe for the dog or the other occupants, but I'm not a safety maven like that, the only passenenger was the dogs owner and she didn't care, and Sadie sure as heck didn't care...). From that point on, I could just say "go flying?" to the dog and she was right by the front door ready to go take her spot in the plane, so no, I don't think "cruel" would be the word I use. For Sadie, leaving he at home would have been cruel.:D (she used to lay right next to me at the blackjack tables with her little "Dog in Training blanket.:eek::rolleyes:)

(she used to lay right next to me at the blackjack tables with her little "Dog in Training blanket.:eek::rolleyes:)

I didn't know dogs could count to 21! I would've thought they'd be better at craps...

:D ,
Joe

I took some K-9 dogs out with their handlers. I noticed that they had no hearing protection, and when I mentioned it, the handlers said that they never heard of such a thing. I informed them that indeed there is hearing protection for dogs. But they went anyways, 120 dB in a Chinook, wow, thats gotta hurt em. The dogs slept for the ride, but I have hearing loss from the helicopter, I can't imagine a poor dog.

I took some K-9 dogs out with their handlers. I noticed that they had no hearing protection, and when I mentioned it, the handlers said that they never heard of such a thing. I informed them that indeed there is hearing protection for dogs. But they went anyways, 120 dB in a Chinook, wow, thats gotta hurt em. The dogs slept for the ride, but I have hearing loss from the helicopter, I can't imagine a poor dog.
Well Grant at our annual Special Needs fly-in we have Susquehanna service dogs there and we take them for rides also. They dont seem to mind flying in my Warrior. but i agree prolonged noise has to hurt thier ears. Our flights are only 20 - 30 Min. around a set course, i think if they are going farther then that they should have Muffs
Dave G.:blueplane:

My guess is that the psychological and immunological benefits of staying with their social group far outweigh any auditory damage coming from the aircraft.

Actually, my dogs are so dumb I doubt I'd notice if they went deaf.

I agree. It would hurt a dog hearing even for a short time in an Army helicopter. The noise level is so much higher compaired to GA planes. I have taken off my helmet and my CEP's (to readjust my CEP's--they are little speakers inside ear foamies) in 60's and 47's. The noise is unbelievable...no where close to a GA plane except maybe for the Mitisubishi MU-2 which seems loud to me outside...never been inside one.

My dog doesn't listen to me anyways... But he sure does like to fly... So, eh?...

I do have a pair of Mutt Muffs for him though.

I got a set of Mutt Muffs yesterday just in time for my dogs first flight. I never thought she would keep them on but for 3+ hours she did. At first she was barking but after 20 min or so in the air she just sat and watched me fly.

Now I did have her in a crate because she is the kind of dog that will find the latch on the cargo compartment and jump out.

Question how does everyone get water to the dog in flight? I was thinking of using a rabbit water bottle (like I did when we crate trained) but I think it will leak. The way I did it was a mess poked a hole in the cap of a bottle of water and squirted it through the holes in the crate.:)

Bob

I would expect that not much water in a deep sided bowl would do the trick. It would require some supervision, I reckon, but still...

Question how does everyone get water to the dog in flight? I was thinking of using a rabbit water bottle (like I did when we crate trained) but I think it will leak. The way I did it was a mess poked a hole in the cap of a bottle of water and squirted it through the holes in the crate.:)

Bob

Her regular bowl half full of water on the hat shelf next to her (no crate, she'd just lay there like a happy camper and fart all day) with no reall issues. It'sjust water (and slobber) and dries up quickly.

I don't know how big your crate is, but I use these for my K-9 when in the car. Keeps the water from sloshing out until she decides to eat the bowl!

www.rayallen.com (called the water hole)

In my past life hauling two rat terriers prone to car sickness, I would let them get a drink off the condensation from a soda or water bottle. Enough moisture to keep them hydrated but not enough to upset their stomach.

Back