Doggie Rescues Need Help

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Don't want to belabor or restart the discussion about dogs & rescues & such....

But ... Not interested in an AngelFlight trip? How about a pax (or multiple) that won't talk your ear off?

Pilots n Paws has more than 2 dozen dogs (mostly puppies) in the Texas/Oklahoma area that need to get to Colorado (Denver area is fine). All of these dogs are spoken for - meaning they have homes once they get here. It's easy to put multiple puppies in a crate (depends on the size of pups & the size of the crate) with towels, just in case. If you don't have a crate many of the dogs are traveling with crates and I have a number of them, various sizes, so don't use that as an excuse.

All of these flights are for 501(c)3 organizations which means you can deduct the fuel (or rental cost) on your taxes with appropriate documentation. Check the purple lines from the Dallas area into Denver.

http://pilotsnpaws.org/maps/maps_trips.php

or contact rachel at https://www.facebook.com/rachelle.hurd.3?hc_location=stream or AggieMike or me for more details.

Last edited:
it is quite rewarding. wish I was closer to y'all, I'd take you up on this offer. best of luck!

I've considered doing this but I question whether the dogs really need "rescues". Quite a few seem like they are just exchanging private hands. Even then, I wonder why ground transportation is inadequate.

I've considered doing this but I question whether the dogs really need "rescues". Quite a few seem like they are just exchanging private hands. Even then, I wonder why ground transportation is inadequate.
Dogs and cats would not need rescue if owners took the appropriate care and spade or neutered their pets. Instead, they allow them to wander about doing what nature intended, increasing the population. Unfortunately, a lot of this is surplus and kill shelters only have one way of dealing with them. Local shelters also have one way of dealing with returned animals. As a parent of three "rescues" of sorts, I'm all for doing what needs to be done. While flying may not be the best way for a couple, it sounds like this is a cargo trip.
By the way, my 9 year old collie shepherd mix came by truck from Tennessee. Not all shelters do planes. I'm still not sure why Rose had to come from Tn, but she has been with me for 5 years. I wouldn't trade her for anything.
Of the other two, Lucky's previous was going to take him back to the local animal shelter where he came from. That is nearly always a death sentence. Kobi was a hyper Border Collie whose parents could not contain him and he was constantly knocking their two year old daughter down.

www.MountainPetRescue.org does a lot to pull dogs from the kill shelters of the south and bring them to the alpine areas surrounding Denver. Especially the breeds such as the Pyrs, Saint B's, and GSD's that are more suited for the mountains than the not Texas flat lands.

Sybil, the travel coordinator is one of the best I've worked with.

There a a few travel requests that are rookie requesters making wishful thinking requests. But there are many well organized rescue organizations that make use of PnP to bring deserving dogs from the kill shelters to their location, and then later transport to the furever home.

This past winter, I got my landing certificate to Leadville, CO, by taking a GSP to an adopting young couple. Wonderful dog and you could tell he knew the family was his and the environment was perfect for him.

I find it odd to fly dogs here when our shelters have no lack of pups who need a home. It's noble of folks to do it, I guess, but seems quite unnecessary.

I find it odd to fly dogs here when our shelters have no lack of pups who need a home. It's noble of folks to do it, I guess, but seems quite unnecessary.

I find it more than odd, even disreputable that people will adopt children from other countries when there's an overwhelming number of kids in foster care here.

Disclaimer - all my dogs have been local rescues.

I'm torn. At one end it seems an extravagant waste of avgas. On the other hand, I love puppies and it could be a great way to build time so I could qualify to do Angel Flights. Denver is a bit far to take the trip in a 172, though.

I find it more than odd, even disreputable that people will adopt children from other countries when there's an overwhelming number of kids in foster care here.

Disclaimer - all my dogs have been local rescues.

Yeah I hear ya. I think it stems from, strangely, selfishness. "I want a baby not a grown kid." Or... "I must have X breed of dog." Or I won't adopt. Strange.

But on the bright side, I'm sure neither the dogs nor the kids being adopted is complaining! Adopted is better than not.

Our adoptee is asleep.

The basic reason is that the dogs transported have a much better shot of being adopted in the receiving state rather than killed. Transport dogs typically have a very high adoption rate. Colorado is a bit interesting in that regard since it is a kill state, but overall has capacity to accept more. It is definitely not the #1 destination I get requests for, which reflects it's relative capability for receiving vs. other states. Washington, Oregon, and the northeast states are on the top of the list.

Certainly there are opinions all over about whether or not it's a necessary thing to do, and I'll be the first to admit some transports make more sense than others. As to the air vs. Ground, ground does work, but when properly orchestrated, air is a similar cost per dog. Plus, people are willing to do what they're willing to do. So, I flew 18 hours last weekend to save 23 puppies, but I would not have been willing to drive 18 hours in the same time period. Nevermind that driving 18 hours wouldn't have even covered half the distance.

I'm torn. At one end it seems an extravagant waste of avgas. On the other hand, I love puppies and it could be a great way to build time so I could qualify to do Angel Flights. Denver is a bit far to take the trip in a 172, though.

I've flown a couple dozen dogs now and here's my take:

1. Now that I'm no longer flying for my business, it gives me a good reason to fly other than $100 hamburgers. Besides, it gets written off as a charitable contribution since PnP is a 501c3.

2. I personally would never do Angel Flights in a single. I doubt that a dog would sue me if something bad happens.

3. I won't fly a dog unless a 501c3 is either the sender or the receiver. Or it's going from a kill shelter to a new home.

4. I have my limits as to what distance is appropriate. I'll get a notification that a Maltese needs a transport from from California to Ohio and I just laugh and delete it. Good intentions, sure, but really?

5. Yes, there are ground transport organizations also and some trips are a combination of air/ground.

6. Lastly, I've recently decided that I will no longer involve myself in any trips that involve over two or three legs/pilots/drivers. It seems like the more people that are involved the more unorganized the trip is, more can go wrong and, most importantly, there is more pressure to make the trip---"get there-itis". Also, the longer the trip, the more likely that ther will be weather somewhere along the route.

That's my current position. Subject to change tomorrow, especially if the dog and/or receiving party are cute. :)

It's a good deal for the dogs. Also a good deal for the pilots to feel they are burning avgas helping another creature rather than boring holes in the sky. Win-win.

Disclaimer: I went with Murphey on one of these trips as a passenger last year. Kinda nice to relax and gaze at the scenery, although there isn't that much scenery between here and halfway to Texas. :rofl:

Not everyone burns AvGas running dogs for PilotsNPaws. I did a flight this past weekend, through my company, in a 1900. Very rewarding stuff.

Back