Dog scare/Dog save

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
I like animals. I love animals. I like kitty cats, puppy dogs, horsies, all of those. But I had a scare.

I was riding my bike in a semi rural area of Northern California, borderline redneck territory, (yes they exist here) and came upon a pack of dogs. Not sure if they were wild or what.

The small ratty dog was aggressively pursuing a pickup truck, driving slowly. The pickup went slowly as to not run over the dog. The pickup avoided the dog and left. The aggressive dog then started to encounter me on my bike, snarling, like it wanted to attack. "Good doggies" were not responsive.

Enter something similar to a Siberian Husky, not exactly that, but, it put the aggressive dog in check. Not sure if it was a stray too, don't know, it was loose, but he (or she) had my back. The aggressor dog stood down.

Frontier justice. No need for animal control. Why can't we be like that.

Because most humans stand around and video instead of helping, for amusement. We proved that once internet got fast enough for video.

Two bullets would have eliminated all threats. :D

JUST KIDDING! I just got back from the vet, where I got my newly adopted feral kitty inoculated, blood tested and chipped.

I have recently been converted from a Dog Father to a Cat Daddy...:dunno:

The aggressive dog then started to encounter me on my bike, snarling, like it wanted to attack. "Good doggies" were not responsive.

Enter something similar to a Siberian Husky, not exactly that, but, it put the aggressive dog in check. Not sure if it was a stray too, don't know, it was loose, but he (or she) had my back. The aggressor dog stood down.

dog 1: "hey Ralph, stop barking at this guy"
d2: "Aw, come on Fred, I'm just having a little fun"
d1: "Seriously, Ralph, zip it before this guy maces us"

Mace? Not for me! 14 years old. Riding my bike home from Middle School. Aggressive dog attacks. Previously it had latched onto my pants cuff and nearly knocked me off the bike. This time, I timed it right and was able to land a solid kick to the dog's head while maintaining my balance.

Next day, same dog charges to attack again. Then he recognized me and promptly withdraws. End of problems with that dog.

-Skip

Dogs can be scary, glad the husky helped, he was a good boy. A few bicycle friends of mine have been taken out by dogs. One lady was out of commission for about 6 months. A lady was watching her son's Rottweiler and let it out. It took a chunk out of her leg, then kept chewing. The lady couldn't get it off, some guy stopped and beat it until it finally let go. I like dogs too, but F dogs like that.

A pack of feral dogs would be my worst nightmare when cycling. Glad your encounter turned out well.

Decades ago I had an encounter with a farm dog that didn't turn out so well... for the dog. I was riding on a paved road in rural Michigan (6 Mile Road through Salem, I believe, not far from the VOR) when the pooch lit out in pursuit of me. Adrenaline immediately kicked me into high gear and I was oblivious to what was about to happen. The next thing I was aware of was a very loud yelp behind me. An opposite direction truck had hit the poor dog square on. The truck driver and I both stopped to help, but the dog's owner was already on the scene and scooped up the poor thing. The dog was still alive but was in a lot of pain, and appeared to have a broken back. I'd be very surprised if the injury was fixable, but I never went back there.

People who allow their canine charges to run loose near traveled highways should be cited for neglect, not to mention creating a possible hazard to cyclists and peds.

Squirt from a water bottle works ok, aim at eyes.

When my mom moved in she had her Akita, aka the hog dog. She was 140 pounds and had the size and strength to back up her bark.

I have a 30 pound German Sheppard mix. She liked to chase the cats in the house. The hog dog would stand up and get between my dog and the cats, then give a low woof to my dog. She eventually learned to leave the cats alone.

They were a funny pair. My dog is an early warning device, barking at anything that moves. The hog dog would get up to see what she was barking at. If it was not a threat, the hog dog would go back inside and my dog would follow. If it was a threat, the hog dog would give a couple low barks meaning someone needs to come check this out. Nobody, I mean not a single person would move towards the house when the hog dog showed herself.

My dog liked to play outside. When it was the hog dogs nap time, she would stick her head out the doggie door and give a low woof. My dog would stop what she was doing and come inside and take a nap with my moms dog.

Sadly, my moms Akita suddenly and unexpectedly passed away last February. My dog mourned for about a week, constantly looking for her at nap time, bed time and feeding time. When my mom got her own house, my dog went with her. She has really become a good watch dog for my mom, and now only barks at people that come on the property.

Saw an article in the WaPo yesterday reporting (purporting) the assertion that dogs are the most destructive mammal to walk the earth.

Yeah, I had a bunch of encounters over a month that made me contemplate carrying while riding my bicycle, but so far I have not.
It was a sad ending... definitely a last resort. I don’t blame the dog at all. Every dog I’ve ever encountered that was as aggressive and undeterred by other methods of persuasion were intentionally raised to be aggressive by their owners. People are cruel sometimes.

I’d lean to the pepper spray method, to much explaining to do with shooting. This assumes it’s a neighborhood or rural road setting. I can handle most any dog with a #11 boot or a stout hickory stick, they seem to know it too.

I ride a recumbent...so far just stopping quickly and rearing up onto my hind legs has stopped every dog I’ve encountered. I know there are dogs that won’t work for, but other than my frame pump or pocket knife, I don’t normally carry anything that would help. When I venture farther afield, I carry pepper spray.

My daughter carries pepper spray when she runs, and has used it a couple of times.

I've kicked a 2 or 3, also stopped and whacked a couple over the head with my bike. I've found that to kick them, you need to uncleat, coil up and wait for them to go for the bite. That said, most of the dogs I've encountered don't chase, or will stop and saunter away when you stop.

Yeah I mean in the end, I'm bigger, and kickass, but there is a lot of teeth and claws packed in to one of those things, and while I may win in the end, having gangrene, chunks of flesh missing and nearly bleeding out would really ruin my day.

Saw an article in the WaPo yesterday reporting (purporting) the assertion that dogs are the most destructive mammal to walk the earth.

The Washington Compost? Pure nonsense.

Humans are by far more destructive than Spot and Fido.

No wonder nobody reads that garbage any more...

I like animals. I love animals. I like kitty cats, puppy dogs, horsies, all of those. But I had a scare.

I was riding my bike in a semi rural area of Northern California, borderline redneck territory, (yes they exist here) and came upon a pack of dogs. Not sure if they were wild or what.

The small ratty dog was aggressively pursuing a pickup truck, driving slowly. The pickup went slowly as to not run over the dog. The pickup avoided the dog and left. The aggressive dog then started to encounter me on my bike, snarling, like it wanted to attack. "Good doggies" were not responsive.

What is a redneck? And what is redneck territory mean?

And what is redneck territory mean?

It is where the double wides stop and the single wides have flowers planted in a bathroom appliance in the front yard. Where the hood and one door are a different color from the rest of the car. Where people own a home that is mobile and 5 cars that aren't.....

Yeah I mean in the end, I'm bigger, and kickass, but there is a lot of teeth and claws packed in to one of those things, and while I may win in the end, having gangrene, chunks of flesh missing and nearly bleeding out would really ruin my day.
I've had the thought quite a few times that the average grown man would be able to handle with bare hands the average large dog. Note, I said average. I am not talking about the really strong tough dogs.

But in doing so, we would probably lose a lot of skin and blood in the process, and maybe incur some medical bills. I would rather not have to go through that. Keeping their teeth away from my skin with whatever tools I have available would be the goal.

Back