Does your surgeon use checklists?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/17/business/17quality.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

This hospital is offering warrantees on their work, and using checklists to reduce mistakes. Think it was started by a Dr. with an aviation background?

Funny you should mention that! One of my R44 partners is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knee replacements. He uses a checklist when he operates (I don't know whether he uses one for flight because I've never flown with him!). He's got knees down to such a science that he told me that he can do one in about 45 minutes...

Most surgical procedures fall under "global billing". Any care customarily related to the procedure is covered under one bill/one payment. The time covered by the global time period varies with the procedure, most are on the order of 6 weeks to 3 months. You can bill for treatment of complications but you don't get payed real well if you did the original surgery. And Medicare billing at hospitals is based on DRG'd(diagnosis related groups), pnuemonia gets paid a certain amount of money, no matter how long they are in the hospital. So it isn't all that big of jump to offer a warranty, especially if they can negotiate more money for the guarantee.

I don't have a written checklist, but I essentially run through one in my head with each operation. I think most obsessive-complusive people do that, and most surgeons are a bit O-C.

Barb(poor general surgeon because I try not to have complications, so I don't get to bill for more procedures.)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back