Does this sound right?

integra144

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
integra144
Wow! After reading this site and others like it I think being a pilot is actually plausible, but expensive. So this is what I have interpreted from reading this site. You don’t need a degree in aviation. Mainly I am majoring accounting as my parents want. So even if I graduate with an accounting degree, what I really need is flight hours. So if I start raking up flight hours at a local flight school; I can get hired by a smaller regional airline and begin to make my way up the chain? And mainly no one graduates from Flying College and start flying it kind of different then most carrier’s fields? Also I searched everywhere is there a height requirement I’m 5ft 6 inches 139Lbs and male. At the airport the pilots always appear to be at least 6ft. I only been in a cockpit of a commercial plane once I think it was a 757, but I was like 5 and now after 9/11 no one can be in there expect those authorized. Am I tall enough to reach the rudders?

Also should I get an aviation science degree? Bridgewater State College, http://www.bridgew.edu/Catalog/avi.pdf the link goes to a PDF section of the catalog or should I just go to Embry Riddle in Florida, Daniel Webster? And skip the complete accounting and do the Aviation which they offer? Is it really worth it or at the end of the day just get my Accounting degree and got to Executive Flyers Aviation at Hanscom (http://www.executiveflyers.com/index.php) ? Also anyone have anyone reviews about that flight school I mentioned?. They estimate a total cost of $30,000 for Private, Instrument and Commercial. Not sure if multi engine is included though.

p.s. my dream/goal is to fly a 757 flights say from JFK to LAX or BOS to SFO. Hopefully

Thanks a billion. These site are my only source of info as my parents do nothing in this field (accounting and engineering) and they think im nuts.

Last edited:
Wow! After reading this site and others like it I think being a pilot is actually plausible, but expensive. So this is what I have interpreted from reading this site. You don’t need a degree in aviation. Mainly I am majoring accounting as my parents want. So even if I graduate with an accounting degree, what I really need is flight hours. So if I start raking up flight hours at a local flight school; I can get hired by a smaller regional airline and begin to make my way up the chain? And mainly no one graduates from Flying College and start flying it kind of different then most carrier’s fields? Also I searched everywhere is there a height requirement I’m 5ft 6 inches 139Lbs and male. At the airport the pilots always appear to be at least 6ft. I only been in a cockpit of a commercial plane once I think it was a 757, but I was like 5 and now after 9/11 no one can be in there expect those authorized. Am I tall enough to reach the rudders?

Also should I get an aviation science degree? Bridgewater State College, http://www.bridgew.edu/Catalog/avi.pdf the link goes to a PDF section of the catalog or should I just go to Embry Riddle in Florida, Daniel Webster? And skip the complete accounting and do the Aviation which they offer? Is it really worth it or at the end of the day just get my Accounting degree and got to Executive Flyers Aviation at Hanscom (http://www.executiveflyers.com/index.php) ? Also anyone have anyone reviews about that flight school I mentioned?. They estimate a total cost of $30,000 for Private, Instrument and Commercial. Not sure if multi engine is included though.

p.s. my dream/goal is to fly a 757 flights say from JFK to LAX or BOS to SFO. Hopefully

Thanks a billion. These site are my only source of info as my parents do nothing in this field (accounting and engineering) and they think im nuts.

At 5'6" you can be a First Officer, but they won't let you be Captain unless you're a cute girl who's willing to sleep with the operations manager and chief pilot. Men have to be 6' or better to make captain.

At 5'6" you can be a First Officer, but they won't let you be Captain unless you're a cute girl who's willing to sleep with the operations manager and chief pilot. Men have to be 6' or better to make captain.

is this serious or a joke? because that could be a career killer for me, if there is no room to move up the ladder.

Thanks

dont listen to Henning.

I would recommend getting the accounting degree. AViation degrees are generally worthless outside of aviation. Airlines just want you to have any 4 year degree, they dont care what field of study. Accounting will be a good backup. The industry is volatile.

Welcome to PoA!

Welcome to the Board! There are a lot of great folks on this board who will happily help you with finding answers and provide sound advice.

Ditto to Tony. Accounting is a great career option and also an excellent backup to flying. It was may major in college until I determined I'd go nuts being locked inside.

Best wishes with your start. Be sure to keep us up to date on your choices and progress.

is this serious or a joke? because that could be a career killer for me, if there is no room to move up the ladder.
If you had more than 2 posts here, you'd know when Henning is kidding. And he is on this one.

All the jets today are built to accommodate anything from about a 10th percentile female to a 90th percentile male, so 5-6 and 140 should be just fine regardless of your gender.

The collegiate aviation programs with air carrier tie-ins are the fastest way to get both a college degree and a pilot job in the airlines. Aviation degrees provide little value outside the aviation industry, so getting an accounting degree may provide a better back-up, but you'll need more flying experience to get hired out of the local flight school than out of an aviation career program. It's a choice you have to make for yourself.

However, the difference right now is probably only 6-12 months. Embry-Riddle instructors are getting hired with less than six months instructing experience, while local FBO graduates are probably taking about 12-15 months. In some cases, folks are finding they'd rather stay in GA and go into corporate or fractional/charter operations because of the very low pay for regional air carrier co-pilots and the reduced top end pay for major airline captains.

In any event, there is a rapidly growing shortage (is that an oxymoron?) of pilots to fill the number of pilot seats coming open over the next 10-15 years, so your timing is excellent.

Is the the same requirement you have for your first mate Captain Henning?:rofl:

The good news that if you learn to fly at BED, there is a traffic watch flight that you can get a job at the minute that you get your commercial certificate. The pay is total garbage at $7.50/hr, but you can quickly rack up hours doing that job. They fly 172s and pa-28s.

Thanks

It's a joke, although why one would give up a career in charter accountancy for the mundane life of an airline pilot, I don't have a clue. Accountants can work 4 months out of the year and take the rest off if they want to, and make more money than any airline pilot. Stay with accountancy and fly yourself. I know accountants who fly their own jets, I don't know any airline pilots who do.

Is the the same requirement you have for your first mate Captain Henning?:rofl:

No, she just has to sleep with me, but if I get to video her with the chief stew, I might find her some extra money.:yes::D

Welcome aboard, Integra! Yeah, Henning has a weird sense of humor; maybe why he (kinda) fits in here! :) Echoing Tony's remarks, I'd recommend going for the accounting degree and getting the flight time and certificates separately. Yeah, it might take a little longer, but you'll be better set to weather what can be a somewhat turbulent (or at least cyclic) job market in aviation. I've never heard of a mass layoff of accountants! Plus, accountants aren't subject to passing a physical every 2 - 3 years.

As Ron said, the market entry right now in aviation is really pretty good, so you stand a good chance of getting hired in a variety of aviation endeavors once you get your tickets.

Welcome aboard, Integra! Yeah, Henning has a weird sense of humor; maybe why he (kinda) fits in here! :) Echoing Tony's remarks, I'd recommend going for the accounting degree and getting the flight time and certificates separately. Yeah, it might take a little longer, but you'll be better set to weather what can be a somewhat turbulent (or at least cyclic) job market in aviation. I've never heard of a mass layoff of accountants! Plus, accountants aren't subject to passing a physical every 2 - 3 years.

As Ron said, the market entry right now in aviation is really pretty good, so you stand a good chance of getting hired in a variety of aviation endeavors once you get your tickets.

Uh...that's a physical every six months for an airline pilot. :(

Bob Gardner

Yes, finish you accounting degree. If you become an airline pilot you can see all the mistakes your company is making in regards to money and be able to have something to fall back on when they implode due to poor business planning.

Like everyone else said - don't listen to Henning, finish your degree in accounting, size doesn't matter in aviation (though most jet pilots will say otherwise :rofl:). I fly for a regional and my degree was in journalism. I'm 6'3" and I was the tallest guy in my indoc class by a lot - I think the average height for guys at my company is well under 6'. Planes these days are very adjustable...in the 1900, for example, you can move the seat forward and back, up and down, and the rudder pedals have three settings forward to back. Most planes are designed to fit all variety of pilots.

Yesterday alone I flew with a captain named Mark - he's 6'5" probably about 270lbs or more. Then two legs later in the same plane I flew with Kevin - he's probably in the 5'6" range too...these planes aren't like fighters, they have plenty of room for adjustments and different size pilots.

It's a joke, although why one would give up a career in charter accountancy for the mundane life of an airline pilot, I don't have a clue. Accountants can work 4 months out of the year and take the rest off if they want to, and make more money than any airline pilot. Stay with accountancy and fly yourself. I know accountants who fly their own jets, I don't know any airline pilots who do.

You really got me their for a minute. I was pretty bummed when I first read that. My dreams just flew out. HaHa.

But seriously thanks all for the information you guys have provided. So going to a flight school should be just fine? I plan on going to one called Executive Flyers Aviation at Hanscom in Bedford, MA. Anyone hear of them? I go for an intruductory this Firday. They said they can get me Private, Instruments and Commercial for around $30,000. Not sure if that includes CFI. Does the figure sound right? And that all I need to start at the bottom of the chain right?

Thanks again

They said they can get me Private, Instruments and Commercial for around $30,000. Not sure if that includes CFI. Does the figure sound right? And that all I need to start at the bottom of the chain right?
That figure sounds right, and that is all you need "to start at the bottom of the chain." God bless and good luck.

You really got me their for a minute. I was pretty bummed when I first read that. My dreams just flew out. HaHa.

But seriously thanks all for the information you guys have provided. So going to a flight school should be just fine? I plan on going to one called Executive Flyers Aviation at Hanscom in Bedford, MA. Anyone hear of them? I go for an intruductory this Firday. They said they can get me Private, Instruments and Commercial for around $30,000. Not sure if that includes CFI. Does the figure sound right? And that all I need to start at the bottom of the chain right?

Thanks again

Yes, I know Executive. You will see me out there from time to time, as I ferry a lot of their planes to and from maintenance.
I got my PPL and IR from them, both part 141, then went across the hall to ECAC to do my Commercial pt61.
Feel free to PM me about anything in regards to EFA or whatever else. Where in MA are you?

Hmmm. I thought the only size issue in becoming a pilot was that your head needed to be small enough to get through the cockpit door... :D

Hmmm. I thought the only size issue in becoming a pilot was that your head needed to be small enough to get through the cockpit door... :D

That's what they tell the girl, the truth can only be garnered in the mens rooms around the world.

why one would give up a career in charter accountancy for the mundane life of an airline pilot, I don't have a clue.
Yeah, that's what I wanna do - stay inside of a box all day and crunch numbers and enter data into a computer - all day every day - boy, I'm makin' the money -- can't wait to get outta here to fly...:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's what I wanna do - stay inside of a box all day and crunch numbers and enter data into a computer - all day every day - boy, I'm makin' the money -- can't wait to get outta here to fly...:rolleyes:

Uhhhh, hate to inform you of this, but for airline flying, the only difference is the box is smaller and can kill you as well as limit your income potential. The only real flying left is utility flying.

Uhhhh, hate to inform you of this, but for airline flying, the only difference is the box is smaller and can kill you as well as limit your income potential. The only real flying left is utility flying.
A very smal perspective you have there. Sorry to hear it.

I do realize that your box is smaller, but it moves and has an everchanging view. Still a better box than - oh, wait!! that's my own - my very own perspective of this - not yours! I did not mean to imply that your small box is better for you. You might be happier in an office box, but I would be happier in an airline moving box than stuck a box in a box in a box in a city in traffic.

And that is my opinion on that.

A very smal perspective you have there. Sorry to hear it.

I do realize that your box is smaller, but it moves and has an everchanging view.

Not really, it's like being on a ship at sea as well, and I have spent more time in the last 20 years in the air and on the sea than hard land. The view only cycles through a few main variations with some change up in details. I admit, there are some occassionally awe inspiring views, but from an airliner cockpit, not so much, and a lot of time is spent heads down analysing generated info visually through a computer screen and punching a keyboard to program your machine. Ehhh, fine, to me it's a boring job.

Back