Does this solve the problem with Dukes?

I re-read it. It looks like it definitely will solve the engine woes, increases useful load, and improves overall performance by a lot. The article doesn't talk much about ameliorating other problems from which the Duke typically suffers. Looks like the short version is you get a smaller but much faster version of a C90.

Ben:

We had quite a discussion about the turbine Dukes on the Beechlist.

Of course, you are purchasing an older air frame to begin with. This raises a lot of issues including insurance issures.

The Feds have done away with the yellow arc on turbines which would lead one to believe airspeed would be limited to the green arc. This could really dampen speeds low where IAS is high. We posed that question to the vendor and reveived no reply.

I don't know what category this plane would fall into, but, if it's experimental the only insurance available from EAA and Falcon would be 100,000 per seat with 1MM total. This is not the kind of coverage the folks that can afford to be running something like this generally want.

Best,

Dave

Very interesting, Dave. It sounds as though it really is a big improvement, but that there are still some problems that might steer one away. Jeffrey, I wish I could, but I can't. Insurance wouldn't touch me at this point, anyway. Since it is taking me so long (5 years), probably my first airplane will be a twin, but probably a Seneca or 310. I can't afford one now--or at least, I can't afford one in good condition--so I will just bide my time. . . .

spiderweb said:

I so want one of those.... I always thought the Duke was a perfect candidate for a pair of PT-6s. They are such sweet flying airplanes, light nimble and balanced, just like you expect from a Beech, and it's not a bad price with 2 new -35 engines. I'm not personally a turbine fan because I hate the stink of kero, but having had a few engine failures down on the deck, I have come to appreciate the relability and low maint of the PT-6. The only thing I hate are the costs and lost efficiency. There really needs to be a greater effort made into new diesels, especially in the 600-1200 hp range. I wanna see what I can do with a PZL/P&W 1820 and a 1340 AN-2. If I could get them to reliably run on kero, I could sell them to a lot of ag operators.

Back