Does The FAA Move Navigation Waypoints?

I asked this question in the below thread but wanted to draw more attention to my specific question.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...-date-are-you-slant-golf.120466/#post-2771092

In discussing “verifying waypoints” with an expired database the question came up.

Yes. One came up a few weeks ago at KART on the VOR 7 approach. They're moving WUMSO. See page 3:
https://www.faa.gov/aero_docs/acifp/2017020610260201020-ART/NY_KART_VOR RWY 7_8260-2.pdf

Waypoints can move "vertically" as well. A good example are upcoming changes to the GPS 35 and 17 approaches to KVGC. Some of the T-entry IAFs are being removed in favor of a HILPT (that would be obvious), but the glideslope is changing from 3.08 to 3.77 degrees on the RWY 35 approach while using the same final approach course IAF and FAF as before. I don't know how you would be able to verify that your nav box had the right glideslope or not, although you might figure it out when the expected crossing altitude at the FAF didn't make sense. Of course, any approach changes compared to what you see on your nav box should call up a red alert, assuming you notice them.

It's not worth the savings to fly with expired data. (Although we all know pilots who update their fancy GPS boxes once every year or two whether they need it or not.)

Waypoints can move "vertically" as well. A good example are upcoming changes to the GPS 35 and 17 approaches to KVGC. Some of the T-entry IAFs are being removed in favor of a HILPT (that would be obvious), but the glideslope is changing from 3.08 to 3.77 degrees on the RWY 35 approach while using the same final approach course IAF and FAF as before. I don't know how you would be able to verify that your nav box had the right glideslope or not, although you might figure it out when the expected crossing altitude at the FAF didn't make sense. Of course, any approach changes compared to what you see on your nav box should call up a red alert, assuming you notice them.

It's not worth the savings to fly with expired data. (Although we all know pilots who update their fancy GPS boxes once every year or two whether they need it or not.)

ACAFO, the FAF, is being moved 0.9 miles

Back