Does the FAA help with stolen radio issue?

The costs for doing all of that likely match or exceed the value of the item. It also assumes OP knows how to do all that (which can be tricky) on his own. If you take emotion/revenge out of the equation, this doesn't make economic sense to pursue.
No, no, no. I can only speak for my state, but the "theft" or other breach of contract occurred in DKirk's state and county, and small claims (up to 5 grand) is $40 to file. You serve the guy by certified mail (a few more bucks) and he sure as hell isn't going to fight it two or three states away. Then there is a small fee (about $40) to make the court in the bastard's county accept Kirk's judgment. And, all these fees are recoverable in the initial action, so you aren't out a friggin' penny. Then two choices. FIle the lien OR take a vacation in the bastard's home town, give the sheriff the judgment and ask him/her to levy the judgment. Don't take the instrument back. Hold out for cash for everything.

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on my keyboard. Your money for my advice cheerfully refunded if it doesn't work.

Jim

Below $5000, small claims is a great tool, if you're willing to do the legwork. Seriously. Many States are seeing significant pressure to raise small claims numbers from the $5000 range to $10000. Mostly because inbetween those numbers, attorney fees will eat most of it anyway. Of course attorneys and large attorney lobby groups are none too happy about the idea, but really, as inflation goes up, the number for a "small" claim also needs to rise commensurately.

I still don't understand why you refunded the money before the item was back in your possession. Ok, so they froze the funds in your account. Fine, but you didn't HAVE TO send him a refund until he returned the item, that's how it works. Unfortunately, it sounds like you are S.O.L.

This is an Ebay/Paypal matter, and I doubt the FAA would care AT ALL. This is a civil matter, so law enforcement won't get involved either.

I've had this happen to me before. Once PP freezes the funds in your account, they're as good as gone. PP and EBay always side with the buyer, which is why there are so many scammers that claim there are problems with the items, didn't get them when shipped, etc. I only use PP when sending/receiving money from friends/family now, and don't use ebay to sell anything anymore. When selling things on ebay, you're forced to accept paypal, and you're always dealing with the chance the items will be stolen from you.

I've had this happen to me before. Once PP freezes the funds in your account, they're as good as gone. PP and EBay always side with the buyer, which is why there are so many scammers that claim there are problems with the items, didn't get them when shipped, etc. I only use PP when sending/receiving money from friends/family now, and don't use ebay to sell anything anymore. When selling things on ebay, you're forced to accept paypal, and you're always dealing with the chance the items will be stolen from you.

Which is why we make it a rule to transfer everything out of our PP account except $10 or so every Friday afternoon just before closing and AFTER we've shipped all relevant merchandise. By Monday the money is in our bank's account and PP doesn't have the right to tap those funds. Non illegitimi carborundum.

Jim

Which is why we make it a rule to transfer everything out of our PP account except $10 or so every Friday afternoon just before closing and AFTER we've shipped all relevant merchandise. By Monday the money is in our bank's account and PP doesn't have the right to tap those funds. Non illegitimi carborundum.

Jim

If desired by PP, wouldn't they just tap the funds from your next sale or sales?

wants his money back... which I did (like an idiot... but hey, most airplane guys are really trustworthy, and I wanted to honor the warranty.)
He's now into me for over two thousand... and thinking he's one smart dude.
Input and coaching would be greatly appreciated!
thanks
dan

Here is my "input and coaching".....

1) If the aviation community was as full of "honorable people" as it once was, then shows like "AIRPLANE REPO" would have never been able to get off the ground.

2) STAY AWAY FROM EBAY !!!!
Not only will they allow a buyer to screw you over, EBAY will provide the lube and hold you down.
I ended my leather sales venture because of several "questionable" chargebacks and forced refunds for SUPPOSEDLY "lost" packages.

Just my 2/100ths

I dunno... a trip to FL, a prop lock, and a valve core remover could essentially show him you're serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had exactly the same situation a few years ago with Flea Bay.

I sold a nice Canon camera to this guy (which I can confirm was working).

Sent the camera off, and two days later received an email from the buyer that the camera was not working?

No problem, I emailed him back saying "send the camera back and I'll give you a full refund including postage".

The guy then emails back and says that he's sent it for repair and he wants me to pay for the repair?????

I email him back explaining that it does not work like that, and if he wants a refund, then no problem at all, just send it back.

In the meantime he opens a complaint with Flea bay and PayPal freezes the funds in my account.

Flea bay then tells the guy to send the camera back, and to get proof of postage from the post office, which he does, and PayPal refund him his money as soon as he emailed then the proof of postage showing my address!!

A couple of days later the package arrives at my house (the same box that I had sent) but with a rock in it and no camera.

In the meantime he has got his money back, and I have a nice rock, and have to prove to Paypal that this was a fraudulent transaction.

Many emails to PayPal later I infact did get my money back, but I'll never go near Flea bay ever again, lesson learned.

Sneak into his plane and reprogram the VFR button on the transponder to 7500.

Get the judgment where you live. File in small claims, serve him according to your state's law, make him fight it. Then domesticate and abstract your judgment in Florida. And I wouldn't assume that you can't get the attention of Cocoa Beach police.

Best advice I've seen. Sue him, get judgement, place a lien. If nothing else, he'll get notified that he's getting sued. He may even have to make a trip to Arkansas. Then post his email, phone number, his avionics shop phone number, his FBOs phone number and any other number you can come up with and all your friends on POA will help contact them. ;)

Back