• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Huckster79

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Huckster79
Just finished Old Man And The Sea, loved it... does Santiago die? I can argue both ways

His spirit doesn't die.. that's for sure.

Physically, that's debatable. To me the obvious interpretation is that he does.. but I think that's too on the nose..

His spirit doesn't die.. that's for sure.

Physically, that's debatable. To me the obvious interpretation is that he does.. but I think that's too on the nose..

Yea, I certainly agree with the first part, about the spirit.

The physical side I can read it this way:

Yes he does... Just like the marlin he fought eventually everything and everyone is pushed too far to come back, he gave away the marlin's sword to the boy, the salty irony taste in the back of his throat, etc. His reputation was restored and he had physically gone to far to come back...

No he doesn't. If its really an allegory of pursuing ones dreams in life, his dogged determination in fighting the fish and not loosing hope until their literally was none left to hold onto and fighting for it until that point, made the hard fight that was eventually lost, just another chapter in a long hard life, and after a respite he would again go pursue that that he always had, that when one thing went wrong he would deal with it and keep going. And just like in the fight for the fish and to keep it from the sharks he would without fanfare get up and go for it again...

I really enjoyed the writing, very simple and unlike reading other novels it didn't expand my vocabulary but that simplicity fit the book...A simple man, a simple life...Yet it drew me right in, and even knowing the plot ahead of time, I found myself hoping against hope for him, that this time I was reading it somehow it would turn out different than I knew it would. Simple and short but well well worth the read...

Back