Does long commercial XC in Hawaii count in other states?

rookie1255

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rookie1255
I was doing commercial training in Hawaii while stationed there and did the commercial XC with the shortened requirement. I wasn't able to get the checkride done and have since moved to NY state. Does that xc I did in Hawaii still fulfill the long xc requirement if I take the checkride in NY?

The FAR doesn't specify one way or another.

The controlling statement seems to be “if this requirement is being met in Hawaii,” not something more restrictive, like “if all training is completed in Hawaii” or “if the checkride is being conducted in Hawaii”.

Last edited:
So the lesson here is: if you’re going to Hawaii for vacation knock out the cross country while you’re there. :D

So the lesson here is: if you’re going to Hawaii for vacation knock out the cross country while you’re there. :D
‘Cuz I’m sure it would be SOOOOO much cheaper!

Plus, you wouldn’t have to waste so much of your 250 hours flying somewhere...you could spend it in the pattern at the home drome, where it really does you some good.:p

I think the question really is "when is the requirement met?" Is it when you do a qualifying flight or when the DPE looks at your logbook?

I'd call the DPE you'd like to fly with and ask what they'll accept, but also be prepared to just go fly another flight. I don't know if they have guidance on it, but the reason for allowing a shorter flight in Hawaii is there just isn't enough space to fly that far. But now you're back in the states and could make the unmodified flight. Surely you're not complaining about more flying time, right?

Back