Does IFR XC expire?

gms5002

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gms5002
I did my IFR XC in 2011, will this still be valid for a checkride within the next month or two? I can't find any reference to it "expiring" so I assume it's technically fine. Would it be a good idea to do another one to avoid any issues or am I all set?

I did my IFR XC in 2011, will this still be valid for a checkride within the next month or two? I can't find any reference to it "expiring" so I assume it's technically fine. Would it be a good idea to do another one to avoid any issues or am I all set?

If it's Part 61 and you have 3 hours of training received in the past 60 days your fine. If you think another x/c will help your skills and/or confidence then by all means go have fun on another!

Just make sure your written hasn't expired!

Thanks! I've done several shorter flights with my CFI where we've filed, so I'm comfortable with the procedures. It didn't cross my mind until I was just tallying my log book against the requirements tonight. Only 8 more hours to go!

It doesn't expire but it will probably be a good idea to do another XC with your CFI.

The only things with a time limit are the written test, 3 hours of test prep, and instructor's endorsement for the practical test. Whether you need any more IFR XC work before you're good to go (both for the practical test and for flying IFR on your own after you pass the practical test) is entirely a matter for you and your instructor to decide yourselves.

I did my IFR XC in 2009, about a year before I took the written the first time. Didn't do the checkride until over 3 years later, Jan 2013. So no, it doesn't expire.

Back