Does having a stroke necessarily mean you lose your medical?

rbhankins001

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Unfortunately one of my flying friends recently had a stroke. We hope for a full recovery but it sounds like some "left side" body functions will not return 100% (or worse but we are optimistic and hopeful).

Does that mean he will lose his medical? If he loses it due to stroke what would it take for him to get it back?

I am sure I am sounding naive here but I'm a lot younger than all the pilot friends I have and medical stuff is a non-issue for me at this point in life - never dealt with anything like this.

It's a shame he has a really nice 207 . . . real nice aircraft he put a lot of work into it. Matter of fact I think he has another one down south. What a shame.

Thanks for your insight (and prayers if you believe).

-Rob

A cerebrovascular accident (CVA, or "stroke") is automatically grounding per 61.53(a)(1) for any operations requiring a medical certificate until the airman gets a Special Issuance medical. Whether or not a Special Issuance is possible will depend on the remaining degree of infirmity -- Bruce Chien is the guy to ask about that. But for the moment, he's grounded from flying that 207.

A cerebrovascular accident (CVA, or "stroke") is automatically grounding per 61.53(a)(1) for any operations requiring a medical certificate until the airman gets a Special Issuance medical. Whether or not a Special Issuance is possible will depend on the remaining degree of infirmity -- Bruce Chien is the guy to ask about that. But for the moment, he's grounded from flying that 207.

Two pilots I know locally, minor strokes, grounded 3 years. Received new class 3 after extensive testing. Neither had any remaining degree of infirmity. Other than what they had before the stroke.

Does having a stroke necessarily mean you lose your medical?

Only if it happens while you are pilot in command.:yes:

José

Back