Does GI-275's need a Nav database when used in the base configurations

bkspero

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bkspero
I'm interested in getting a couple of GI-275's installed in my plane. One to replace the attitude indicator operating in what Garmin refers to as ADI mode, and the other as an HSI to replace the DG operating in what Garmin refers to as Standby ADI mode (meaning that although it is operating as an HSI, it will revert to ADI mode if the primary ADI fails).

My intention is to have both set to their most basic configurations, initially. The ADI instrument will be set up as what Garmin calls Basic Attitude (no Altitude or Airspeed ribbons, no heading indicator, no terrain or synthetic vision...only a horizon, bank angle, and slip/skid indicator). The Standby ADI will be set up as a basic HSI. No Map or HSI map display, no waypoints, no flight plan display. It will get navigation information from a GNS-530w for both GPS and VOR/LOC/GS operations, and from a KX-155 for Nav2 VOR/LOC/GS.

Garmin is telling me that I have to buy a 2nd NavData database (in addition to the one for my 530w) to operate the units even in this minimalist manner. My shop is telling me that they do not see anything in the installation instructions that require a NavData database, but mine would be their first GI-275 installation.

Is there anyone here that knows definitively whether or not a NavData database is required for all GI-275 installations? There may be a distinction for installations with a GTN-750/650, as they may be able to share their data with a 275 whereas a 530w may not.

NavData database is NOT required to operate it as an HSI. You will however get a message everytime you operate it alerting you that the database is expired. On a separate note, while I have my AI set on the most basic setting, that is not possible with the HSI.

The HSI will come with 3 screens, and you can leave it on the simplest one if you so choose, but you cannot turn off the others. It WILL come with a moving map display, basic HSI, and reversionary AI which is a requirement in order to remove you vacuum system.

Back