Does Foreflight update TFRs/NOTAMs via ADS-B IN?

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
I check the TFRs and NOTAMs on my iPad when connected to WiFI.
In the air, my iPad is not connected to the internet, but is getting ADS-B data from Stratus 3. If there is a new TFR or NOTAM while I am flying, will Foreflight update via ADS-B, or it would require an internet connection for that?

I check the TFRs and NOTAMs on my iPad when connected to WiFI.
In the air, my iPad is not connected to the internet, but is getting ADS-B data from Stratus 3. If there is a new TFR or NOTAM while I am flying, will Foreflight update via ADS-B, or it would require an internet connection for that?
Yes. That’s the FIS-B part of ADS-B

Yes, but.

TFR's are broadcast as NOTAMs via ADS-B FISB, but the look ahead range is only 100 NM. So until you are receiving a ground station that is within 100 NM of the NOTAM location, other ADS-B towers will not be broadcasting the NOTAM. They are also only broadcast every 10 minutes. See AIM 7-1-9 TBL 7-1-2 and TBL 7-1-3.

TFR's can be updated at any time, but usually VIP TFR are published well before they are effective. You should always get the latest TFR from the internet before you depart and using the Pack function will assure you get the latest versions. If a TFR pops up or changes in flight, it is not a violation of 91.103 if just before your flight you got the latest update via the internet or via a FSS briefing.

I use the stratus and foreflight and havnt missed an update while flying.

I find my Garmin Pilot ADS-B feed pretty accurate with TFR info, of course I check ahead of time at home. I like how they show yellow before becoming ‘active’. Yes, if you ask anyone, it’s not ‘official’ to get the TFR info from a flight app.

Back