Does FBI investigation show on background check?

lsaway

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
lsaway
If a person is or was being investigated by the FBI, will this show on a federal or any aviation related background checks?

Never hurts to ask the FBI for your file. If there’s an active investigation, you won’t get it though. But after the investigation is closed, you can ask again.

https://efoia.fbi.gov/#home

I have mine.

Never hurts to ask the FBI for your file. If there’s an active investigation, you won’t get it though. But after the investigation is closed, you can ask again.
Mine probably just got lost in the prison mail system.

Nauga,
never convicted

I have had clearances and they never told me anything. They just ask for a whole lot of information. One way street.

That being said, I never tried the FOIPA route that @TCABM used.

I requested clearances a few times as I needed them for immigration purposes and always received a document that stated that based on my fingerprints and personal data, there is no record of me at the FBI. I don't know if active investigations would show up on that document though.

Mine probably just got lost in the prison mail system.

Nauga,
never convicted

Had I not been recruited to work for them I would not have had a file.

The entirety of the contents is a handful of pages from the application and interview process.

The investigation was a long time ago. I was never told if it was closed or not. I assume it was. I just want to know if it will ever come up with a background check or security clearance. The relevance is whether or not I need to be prepared to defend any prejudices that may come from it.

The investigation was a long time ago. I was never told if it was closed or not. I assume it was. I just want to know if it will ever come up with a background check or security clearance. The relevance is whether or not I need to be prepared to defend any prejudices that may come from it.

It depends. A NAC or "National Agency Check" is pretty thorough. But, I don't believe an NCIC or CHRI would show anything unless you're convicted or have outstanding warrants.

I'm not an expert, but I've been subject to all 3 before due to employment.

It depends. A NAC or "National Agency Check" is pretty thorough. But, I don't believe an NCIC or CHRI would show anything unless you're convicted or have outstanding warrants.

I am wondering if it would show if I am on any kind of a watch list or ?

If a person is or was being investigated by the FBI, will this show on a federal or any aviation related background checks?

Unless you were fingerprinted, nothing will show up in a "standard" background check. CHRI, better known as Criminal History records, are only associated with fingerprint records to ensure proper identification.

Unless you were fingerprinted, nothing will show up in a "standard" background check. CHRI, better known as Criminal History records, are only associated with fingerprint records to ensure proper identification.

I have submitted fingerprints for FBI security clearance checks prior to the investigation I am questioning. This investigation did not take new fingerprints, but the investigator did have my previous file with him. I ordered my file as @TCABM recommended.

Your FBI file is no big deal. What you need to worry about is your permanent record from elementary school.:lol:
Is it a big deal if the investigation is for being a terrorist?

Attachments

• lol.gif
    lol.gif
    434 bytes · Views: 6
Is it a big deal if the investigation is for being a terrorist?

I was once called a terrorist in a national print magazine (to be accurate, "A dupe of terrorists"). Due to my clearances, it triggered an investigaton. Noting ever came of it...I was just told that nothing that negatively reflected on me was found.

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
I was once called a terrorist in a national print magazine (to be accurate, "A dupe of terrorists"). Due to my clearances, it triggered an investigaton. Noting ever came of it...I was juust told that nothing that negatively reflected on me was found.
Ron Wanttaja

That is good to know. At least they told you something. All I know is that it was a very intensive investigation that lasted about 6 months before the FBI ever mentioned anything to me. An investigator finally called and asked to meet him at the local police station. I said I was in the middle of something I couldn't leave, but he was welcome to come to me. He came over & told me what the allegation was and asked a lot of questions. He left and that was the last I heard of it. I don't even know if the file is still open or what? It wasn't just a paper investigation, it was a ground pounding event. I will see when I get my file.

It is my understanding that the FBI must do a background check on all airline pilot applicants.
That’s what I was recalling. So it seems like an FBI investigation would probably surface during another FBO investigation.

That is good to know. At least they told you something. All I know is that it was a very intensive investigation that lasted about 6 months before the FBI ever mentioned anything to me. An investigator finally called and asked to meet him at the local police station. I said I was in the middle of something I couldn't leave, but he was welcome to come to me. He came over & told me what the allegation was and asked a lot of questions. He left and that was the last I heard of it. I don't even know if the file is still open or what? It wasn't just a paper investigation, it was a ground pounding event. I will see when I get my file.

Falsely blamed?

I have submitted fingerprints for FBI security clearance checks prior to the investigation I am questioning. This investigation did not take new fingerprints, but the investigator did have my previous file with him. I ordered my file as @TCABM recommended.

That won't be a problem. An Offense Cycle Number is generated with each set of arrest fingerprints, and you can't go back and add stuff to an old number. Those submitted for a background investigation are in a completely different category and would be immediately identifiable for what they are, if the check even went into sufficient detail for them to surface. I suspect that would take something at least more in depth than the equivalent of a Secret military clearance. Frequent fliers of the criminal justice system often get spun up at being printed every few months, or even weeks, when they are arrested, but it must be done for that new charge to be tracked in the criminal history system.

Falsely blamed?

Yes. The agent said that it was reported "I was a terrorist because I was a Middle Eastern man with an airplane in a building". Back story is that I had just moved to a small southern town. I was building an airplane, so I paid cash to buy a vacant building to work on the plane. I have a dark tan and dark hair, so apparently the small town gossip turned me into a Middle Eastern man.

Yes. The agent said that it was reported "I was a terrorist because I was a Middle Eastern man with an airplane in a building". Back story is that I had just moved to a small southern town. I was building an airplane, so I paid cash to buy a vacant building to work on the plane. I have a dark tan and dark hair, so apparently the small town gossip turned me into a Middle Eastern man.

That's sadly believable, and it didn't have to be southern. Friend of mine up here had something similar happen but to a lesser degree. He's lived here his whole life, has a big nose and his grandparents were from Sicily. Apparently that was enough to be a suspicious foreign guy, six months after 9/11. Some people are just naturally scared...or watch too much tv news.

I work in federal law enforcement with certain security clearances that I’m SURE wouldn’t be granted if the FBI had anything bad on me! Having said that, it kinda makes me curious to do the efoia request!

That's sadly believable, and it didn't have to be southern. Friend of mine up here had something similar happen but to a lesser degree. He's lived here his whole life, has a big nose and his grandparents were from Sicily. Apparently that was enough to be a suspicious foreign guy, six months after 9/11. Some people are just naturally scared...or watch too much tv news.

It is sad. The problem really escalated when the FBI started interviewing and talking to people in town. The FBI was throwing around the terrorist word too. They talked with people that never heard the original gossip, so gossip seemingly became credible to believe. Everyone around here has guns, so when the death threats started, my family was very fearful.

I work in federal law enforcement with certain security clearances that I’m SURE wouldn’t be granted if the FBI had anything bad on me! Having said that, it kinda makes me curious to do the efoia request!

I did have clearances prior, but never had any reason to get any since. I have not even flown commercial, or crossed any borders, so I really don't know what the status is. I found out this was happening from neighbors that were visited by FBI. I researched the Patriot Act to see what might possibly be the next steps, and what rights or protections I have. Turns out the Patriot Act pretty much bypasses all rights and standard law enforcement practices as long as a member of law enforcement says they are investigating terror. At least, that is how I interpreted it.

Back