Does Delta have a tight tolerance for turbulence

Hang 4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Hang 4
Delta is my main airline and I've flown 5 segments in the last couple of days. Each one had a "we're going to keep the seatbelt sign on for expected turbulence". Each on also had enough turbulence to maybe make your drink slosh 1/8 of an inch. I've been on other airlines where it took a 0G incident to get it on. I noticed this over the last 10 years or so flying weekly, but this week was particularly noticeable.

Any Delta Capt's or FO's able to comment?

For what they charge for a leg amputation seat, I'd hope they keep that thing on rails. If the widget bores you, try America's yee-hawiest Regional. You're not doing it right unless you get at least one solid front to back human gasp wave, the second one is just winning all around. Applause upon TR stow not required but certainly appreciated.

The mood lighting is the part that X'd me :D

Personally, I prefer the speediness of drink service abroad, US domestic is trash. Exhbit A:

I'm not a deity-following man, but just like the lady above, when I do find myself clutching hands, I prefer to do it drenched in Canada Dry. Holy water of sorts, for us irreverents in the crowd. :D

For those that fly in the Rocky Mountains area, it’s very common for airlines to request smoother altitudes based on what others reported. Even if they are only experiencing some light chop.

Delta has a reputation among center controllers for commenting on experiencing "light chop" at FLs no one else is complaining about and asking for a smoother altitude.

How much of it is controllers just griping about all airlines and latching onto Delta? Who knows.
Did Delta at one point have a written or unwritten rule that they wanted to be the smoothest airline and encourage crews to always look for clean air? Maybe someone here knows.

f1e09d0821208fc74441679ece3e07db.jpg

Once as a passenger on a red eye flight from Anchorage to Minneapolis, the climb out was really bouncing everyone around. Most of the passengers were screeching on every bump. I was trying to get some shut eye, but the screeching was keeping me awake. The lady next to me locked on to my arm. She ask me if that is Ok because I am so calm. So I talked to her to try to calm her down. The ride got better after about 30 minutes and about 20 minutes later she finally unlocked from my arm.

I think her nail marks finally went away last year...

Experienced the same thing on American yesterday… it’s just a systemic move towards over reaching risk aversion and laziness.

A passenger spills a drink on themselves, they blame the airline and demand free flights. Customers are driving this. Years ago customers made it overtly clear they wanted CHEAP. Well, they got it… and here we are.

Delta FO here. It’s 100% up to the Captain. some are super touchy on the sign, some never turn it on, some leave it on all night on a crossing because we are required to make a PA if its off and we turn it back on.

We have an app on our company iPads that estimates turbulence in addition to charting turbulence PIREPS and turbulence plots. Sometimes it works great and sometimes it says we’re going to get crushed and it’s barely a riffle. :dunno:

The company is definitely applying pressure to sit flight attendants down early to prevent injuries and IMO that is spilling over to the light.

Delta FO here. It’s 100% up to the Captain. some are super touchy on the sign, some never turn it on, some leave it on all night on a crossing because we are required to make a PA if its off and we turn it back on.

We have an app on our company iPads that estimates turbulence in addition to charting turbulence PIREPS and turbulence plots. Sometimes it works great and sometimes it says we’re going to get crushed and it’s barely a riffle. :dunno:

The company is definitely applying pressure to sit flight attendants down early to prevent injuries and IMO that is spilling over to the light.
Talking from a passenger point of view here. I fly Southwest and Alaska somewhat frequently. And I’ve seen that. Some ‘shut down the cabin’ at the slightest burble, some don’t.

Last edited:
Better on the transatlantic segment. Light off most of the way

The mood lighting is the part that X'd me :D
There's a Coke can and cup of ice on just sitting on his tray table, and someone else has their laptop or tablet out and unrestrained with no problems, so...maybe dial back the drama, folks? The sky is not always glassy-smooth. Get over it.

I wonder if the folks dressed in suits and dresses and smoking their cigarettes shrieked and moaned as much when their DC-3s were flying through weather in the 50s?

Couple times a year airline passenger here. Since 99% of the flying 8 do is in the RV, I’m used to sitting in a cramped seat and not being able to walk around. I don’t care if they leave the light on and they can’t serve snacks. I bring my own water and snacks, which is healthier and tastier anyway.

Back