Does ATC see VFR flight plans?

That is the exact verbage they use here at JAC....:yes:

Yeah JAC being a Class D that's what you'll hear. If you do a VFR cross country to SLC and request an approach (if they had time), they should clear you for the approach and to maintain VFR.

Yeah JAC being a Class D that's what you'll hear. If you do a VFR cross country to SLC and request an approach (if they had time), they should clear you for the approach and to maintain VFR.

Going to SLC is always a fun trip... But never request an approach... I just get cleared into Bravo from while on FF, go through the "notch", follow I-15 and land on 17 /35.. To the best of my knowledge they will not clear VFR traffic onto any other runway.. :dunno:

Where procedures require application of IFR separation to VFR aircraft practicing instrument approaches aircraft are cleared for the approach with a restriction to maintain VFR. Where IFR separation is not applied to VFR aircraft practicing instrument approaches the prescribed phraseology is:

“(Aircraft identification) MAINTAIN VFR, PRACTICE APPROACH APPROVED, NO SEPARATION SERVICES PROVIDED.”
Thanks for that. Either way, there should be no confusion in the pilot's mind that ATC understands s/he is not operating IFR.

Back